Home Made Bay Rum (Stage 2)

A few weeks ago I posted a recipe for making your own Bay Rum at home, and I know a few of you have taken up the challenge. We are now coming close to the time when you will have to start thinking about "bottling up", that is to say, when the month is up, you will need consider how to move the bay rum from the jam jar into your aftershave/cologne sprinkler bottle. To do this you will need..

an empty aftershave/cologne bottle (a sprinkler is ideal)
a clean bowl
a sieve of some kind
a pipette.

I'm assuming you can supply the bowl and the sieve yourselves, and probably the bottle too. However, if you need a bottle I can send you one out, but I would need to ask you to cover the cost of the bottle and p&p (£2.50) should do it for a UK address. If you need a pipette PM me with your address and I will send one out to you no charge, as they are very light, and I can get one to you for the cost of a stamp.

The average jam jar will leave you with between 100-150ml of Bay Rum after discarding the solids. If you fill up a 100ml sprinkler bottle you will have some left over. Just wash out the jam jar, dry it inside, and return the extra to the jar. The screw top lid will keep it safe, and you can use it to top up the sprinkler later.

Martin.

Try taking some to car boot sales and offer to trade with vendors for old, unwanted shaving gear perhaps Steve ? Maybe 4 or 5 bay rum samples for the odd Aristocrate or summat similar ?

JohnnyO. ;)

JohnnyO said:
Try taking some to car boot sales and offer to trade with vendors for old, unwanted shaving gear perhaps Steve ? Maybe 4 or 5 bay rum samples for the odd Aristocrate or summat similar ?

JohnnyO. ;)

there are normally people selling honey and jam etc etc......perfect idea JohhnyO, seems a fair trade 1 pristine Aristo or fatboy etc etc, for a 10ml bottle of bay rum ????

on a serious note, i want to send out some Bay Rum in a couple of weeks to those brave enough to try (at your own risk of course) i will be sending out a 15 page legal disclaimer which i will require back before samples are sent !

I will be wearing my "Saratkatsanos"
2010221234058.jpg

and will be playing this when i bottle it, "Bay Rum" with the Greek touch
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpOAnWEyzt8[/youtube]

Damian Murphy said:
Do you have a brand name yet for your new artisan bay rum ?
"Sunburyboy93 home crafted bay rum" does'nt really do it for me.

Nick the Greek's Bay Rum

... different logos for different recipes (eventually) for:

• - the 'repair' recipe that stops bleeding quickly
      • Logo: A hand from 'off panel' drawing blood from "The Greek's" face with a straight razor
        • ... makes 'nick' a verb for cutting[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
          • - the super expensive recipe that is tough to keep stocked in shops
            • Logo: masked man with 'swag'-bag running with one of "The Greek's" ASB 'classic & classy signature' bottles
              • ... makes 'nick' a verb for stealing[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
                • - the incredibly obscure, non-mainstream recipe
                  • Logo: "The Greek's" portrait with him wearing NHS glasses, and a pocket protector with his name on it
                    • ... but, the 'r' is crossed out, so it spells "Nick the Geek"[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

... nah - that's too much work for the punter.
                      • OK - just stick a picture of most of a HUGE, mostly-exposed woman's cleavage, and call it Evony Bay Rum.
                          • That would probably sell ...[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

You know? It probably would sell. Spot On. I haven't even looked at mine that I made on September 18th. I want to try the original recipe first before adding or substituting any other ingrediants. A baseline if you will. If it's good enough, sincere Bay Rum, then batches will be made for Manly Presents to the relative and friends. Here's where I want to deviate (yes, depending on the results): Use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and Washington state lavender. I like the idea of nutmeg too; a hard problem to crack. And - maybe The Captain can add that West Indies "Swing" or "Zest" to the home made after shave. 19 more days counting tomorrow. I'll have to bring in samples to work and pass out to the gentlemen on my staff. Two have started wet shaving; one 32 the other 43. I loaned them the adjustables I had. But both the guys started their recipe as well. So now, does it depend on how much bay leaf you packed (can pack) into the jar? Did you crack or break up the leaves for a stronger scent by leaching of oils. Did you stick to 5 cloves? Is there a difference if using a lemon's peel? The reason the recipe sticks around is because it's so damn simple to make. No reason you can't do something similar with Vodka and botanicals from your gardens. Call it Gin Whiz. Anyway, just random thoughts on the process.

Would it make any difference in the first place? Dunno! That's "On Deck" shortly and to be revealed to us in a few weeks. Of course the next batch with the new variations will be made up and then after 30 more days decide on who gets what for Christmas. Maybe that's the way to spread your version of the recipe - include it with your Bay Rum After Shave gift. Good evening gentlemen. Time for reading naval history and soft music. R/Robert

Hi guys,

really glad people are already thinking of altering the recipe to make it more individual to themselves.

this is a nice alternative,
lemon & lime peels instead of orange
add 1 vanila pod
everything else the same.

a friend of mine uses grapefruit, I haven't smelled it, but he says it's very good.

Back
Top Bottom