Hi from the Wirral

Ian

Hi,
Just joined and very new to all this, been using a merkur hd with feathers for a couple of months after years of being a slave to the gillette corporation.
Not doing too great at it tbh, can't get a close shave, as if I try against the grain I cut myself to shreds. I seem to have a tough beard.
Currently using proraso shaving soap, and I'm looking to try something new, theres so many to choose from, any suggestions?
reading on here Cella or a glycerine soap tend to be slickest?

Hi Ian welcome to the forum.

Have you checked out the Youtube videos from mantic59 they are a great tutorial, other than that I'd suggest sticking to WTG concentrating on no pressure and angle of attack. Don't aim for completely smooth that will come in time just go for beard reduction and a socially acceptable shave initially.

Hi Ian, welcome to TSR! :D

One soap you should try is Palmolive. It is very cheap (~50p in any supermarket) but extremely good. The scent isn't everyone's cup of tea so that's why we like other, more expensive soaps too, but the lather it can produce is considered by many to be second to none. You can use it as intended (it comes in stick form) or grate it in a bowl and squash it down so it is in a more traditional form.

Others can advise you on blades, but can you assure us that you are throwing your blades away after no more than four or five uses? I expect you are. Actually, shaving against the grain isn't easy for everyone, especially on the neck. Have a really good look at the way your hair grows on different parts of your face. Perhaps best done when you have a couple of days' growth. Then try going across the grain, everywhere except your neck. Many experienced shavers avoid ATG on the neck, so don't feel you have to. Take your time and your confidence will improve.

Good luck!

Welcome Ian

This is a useful thread:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=748</a><!-- l -->

And this:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=9&t=453</a><!-- l -->

Have a good browse here too:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewforum.php?f=6</a><!-- l -->

Hello and welcome Ian. Plenty of good advice above and elsewhere on the forum; my tuppence worth is to suggest that you try a variety of blades in the form of a sampler pack from Connaught Shaving.

Alright Ian.

Totally agree with the advice about a blade sampler pack. Also it's generally regarded that Feathers are, if not the sharpest, certainly amongst the sharpest out there, and don't suit everyone.

Hi Ian,
Good to see you. The Feathers are quite an aggresive blade I find, so it's maybe best to avoid any undue pressure. Although I've been shaving for some decades now my own enjoyment went up several notches when I first tried a glycerine shaving soap about 10 years ago. Now I use little else unless I'm given a present of soap or cream. The first glycerine soap I used was Col Conk, which is widely available online and wont break the bank. The one I now use, which is my all time fave is Mama Bears, which is stocked, I believe, by both The Traditional Shaving Co & The Dutch Shaving Shop. I'm so impressed by it that I order it direct from Sue "Mama Bear" in U.S.A. I certainly wouldn't be slow to try glycerine based soaps, I love them, some aren't so keen. Like most things in wet shaving it tends to be a case of "suck it & see" as it's such a personal thing.
Incidentally, in passing, I first started ordering online about 10 years ago when we got our first PC, which I'm using to chat with you. Since then I must have dealt with ever so many Shaving Kit Suppliers & am delighted to say I've never been ripped off or mislead by any of them. You can pretty much deal with confidence with any of the suppliers you see mentioned on here by chat members and no, I have no commercial links of any sort with anyone.
All the best & plse keep us posted with how you get on & what you try.
JohnnyO.

Ian said:
Hi,
Just joined and very new to all this, been using a merkur hd with feathers for a couple of months after years of being a slave to the gillette corporation.
Not doing too great at it tbh, can't get a close shave, as if I try against the grain I cut myself to shreds. I seem to have a tough beard.
Currently using proraso shaving soap, and I'm looking to try something new, theres so many to choose from, any suggestions?
reading on here Cella or a glycerine soap tend to be slickest?

Hi Ian, and welcome!

What Pig Cat said about the Palmolive is "spot on", but you can buy it in tube form also and that might be better for you. It really is a top performer though, and fantastic value! You didn't mention what brush you are using but this is also important in the comfort stakes. On recommendation from the members, I purchased a Vulfix 404 mixed,(Badger&Boar hair) - brush. It cost about £8. 00 and performs way above it's class! I've got others but I use my 404 quite a lot!

All the best,

spandex.. :)

Thanks for all the comments, I'm using an edwin jagger best badger brush.
I'll go back to the israeli made free shaving shack blades and see if thats better as maybe the feathers are too sharp for me, and try a few soaps.

Ian said:
Thanks for all the comments, I'm using an edwin jagger best badger brush.
I'll go back to the israeli made free shaving shack blades and see if thats better as maybe the feathers are too sharp for me, and try a few soaps.

..Keep on coming back to the forum Ian! We'll knock that problem you have there right on the head, one way or another - or die trying in a mass of crea-a-a-my lather, blood, and aftershave! :twisted: Oo-err! I think I went a bit OTT there..

'Bye

spandex... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom