Hi from Somerset, New to DE shaving.

Hello everyone :)
I came across this forum and found it very helpful indeed, I am a member on the TZ-UK watch forum as I am a bit of a watch finatic, I love mechanical especially German watches.
A fellow member on TZ had a few DE razors for sale in the sales corner, I missed out on them but looking at them and going on a few of the links which were in the post I got quite interested.
So, im34 and have kept a beard for the best part of 10-12 years. When I did shave it was with a Gillette sensor excel and it was ok, I have now decided to get rid of the beard and try to enjoy the whole experience of DE shaving which I have done now a couple of times since my equipment arrived.
Ive order a pure badger brush,
Parker SH91R razor
Dr Harris Almond soap in a bowl
and some Derby extra and Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge blades.
Had a couple of shaves so far, tried both of the blades, my neck feels a little sore but the rest of my face is just fine.
I have viewed quite a few vids on utube from Mantic59 which was very helpful indeed.
After more research I have now ordered a Merkur Futur and Grooming Lounge travel kit including :
Mug Cleaner Face Wash (59ml)
- Beard Master Shave Oil (21ml)
- Beard Destroyer Shave Cream (59ml)
- Best For Last Aftershave (59ml)

I think the shave cream will be a bit better for my neck rather than the soap but we will find out!
Walked past my local pharmacy and purchased some Palmolive classic shave cream this morning, thought I would give that a go until my new razor and creams etc arrive.

Well, so far I am enjoying taking my time and having a nice shave, takes me around 25 minutes in total where as before it was a quick 3 minute rub over the face with the sensor excel.

Let the shave commence :shave
Nathan.

Welcome RedNeck,

...there was I thinking another ironic American had joined us.

Enjoy taking your time, study the guides in shaving help and purchase a blade sampler pack from Connaught.

Greetings neighbour
742732.gif

Thanks everyone ;)
Ive had a look at the different blade sampler packs ot connaught shaving, quite a few to choose from, any particular favorites which you can recommend?
I was thinking of the first one that comes up, (popular) but the Crystal ones are out of stock and I wouldnt mind trying those (or are they no good?), theyre replaced with Wilkinson stainless.
Can there be such a noticable difference with different manufacturers :?:

RedNeckRash said:
Thanks everyone ;)
Ive had a look at the different blade sampler packs ot connaught shaving, quite a few to choose from, any particular favorites which you can recommend?
I was thinking of the first one that comes up, (popular) but the Crystal ones are out of stock and I wouldnt mind trying those (or are they no good?), theyre replaced with Wilkinson stainless.
Can there be such a noticable difference with different manufacturers :?:

That depends on what you want to try... if you want to try every blade you can find, go for the biggest pack you can find. (This is what I did and supplemented it by trying "singles" of other blades as I saw them) - if you're content to try the popular ones first (and why not - most of them are popular for a reason) try the popular pack.

Can there be a noticeable difference between manufacturers - sure - there are differences between blades of a single brand, never mind manufacturer... Is there a difference between a Feather and a Laser (as bought in Wilko) - you bet, one is a razor blade, the other one is a piece of wood painted silver to looks like one.

Hi & very welcome Nathan the Redneck, trust that in the days to come you may become "Nathan the Former Redneck" !

Crystals I always found as a kinda "okay" blade. Which just means that whilst they never seemed the best at anything to me, they didn't really have any bad side. So, I think they're a good blade with which to either work on technique or use as a baseline to compare other razors or settings on adjustable razors. And yes, different blades definitely do have variant characteristics. From initial sharpness through to when they "go off" in use. My own fave are feathers, however there are a lot of very nice blades out there. If you ever wish to try Feathers, Croma or Astra Keramic just drop me an IM & I'll pop some loose blades in the post for you to try before you commit yourself to buying in a bulk supply.

JohnnyO. :geek:

JohnnyO said:
Hi & very welcome Nathan the Redneck, trust that in the days to come you may become "Nathan the Former Redneck" !

Crystals I always found as a kinda "okay" blade. Which just means that whilst they never seemed the best at anything to me, they didn't really have any bad side. So, I think they're a good blade with which to either work on technique or use as a baseline to compare other razors or settings on adjustable razors. And yes, different blades definitely do have variant characteristics. From initial sharpness through to when they "go off" in use. My own fave are feathers, however there are a lot of very nice blades out there. If you ever wish to try Feathers, Croma or Astra Keramic just drop me an IM & I'll pop some loose blades in the post for you to try before you commit yourself to buying in a bulk supply.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Hi JohnnyO,
Thanks for the offer, very kind of you.
I was thinking of trying the Feathers but thought I would master my technique first, Ive read that they are the sharpest blade on the market and not for a novice.
Im looking forward to getting my Futur which im quite sure will give me a much better shave than my current Parker, I like the idea of it being adjustable.
I thought my user name of RedNeckRash was quite suitable due to my slightly sore neck thismorning!
I shaved Saturday night and again last night, resulting in a bit of a sore neck, no wonder really as I havnt really shaved much in the last 10 years and WHAM im in there 2 days running!
I will take you up on your offer of some trial blades, Many thanks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom