Hi from Leicestershire

Hi all,
just been reading about shaving with a DE blade on another forum and thought I would give it a go.
Currently use a mach 3, looking for help and info as to what I should buy to get myself up and running in the real shaving world.

Alright Rich. There's plenty of info in "stickies" in the various threads to get you started. Then come back and ask detailed and pertinent questions, and prepare to receive fatuous and unhelpful answers from people like me and Pig Cat.

Welcome to the forum.

As a starter set up I would suggest an Edwin Jagger Razor they all have the same head its just handle design and weight that changes I have the DE89 and its an excellent shave.

As a brush the Vulfix 404 Badger/Boar mix has a great reputation but be aware that the mix brush is the one available from Diamond Edge at £8.40 and there are also other versions of the 404 - a pure badger ones which are seen as too floppy and a boar (bristle) one which is good but not as good as the mixed one.

A blade sampler pack from Connaught shaving is a must and I'd suggest that you get some basic soaps and creams to try like Palmolive and Boots which are cheaply available on the high street you can always move onto the expensive stuff later :)

Hi Rich, welcome to TSR!

If you don't want to jump in head first then you could stick with the Mach 3 and buy a decent brush and some soap or cream. Once you're happy with lathering you could move to a DE.

Oh, and don't listen to Cheese_Dave, I am the only one on this forum who concentrates solely on the shaving. This is serious stuff. :roll:

Hello Rich, welcome to TSR. We're a helpful bunch around here, especially Pigcat (though he can be a bit humourless - nothing diverts him from the serious matter in hand).

My recommendations: a stick of Palmolive soap (about 50p from a supermarket) and a brush of some sort - see elsewhere for advice on that, but don't spend too much at the outset. Then a pause whilst you settle in here, learn to make lather, and have a look at the Buy Sell Trade board. Pretty soon a nice razor will catch your eye, and it will be time to get a sample pack of blades.

Six months after that, you'll be looking for a bigger bathroom cabinet.

Welcome!

I went to Leicester Uni, nice city.

Taylor of Old Bond Street - a great place to start. Superb, premium performance and reasonably priced. Also, Speick make great stuff and smell really nice. Just buy the whole range for a nice layering effect!

Wow this looks confusing :?

from what I've read I should get a badger/bristle brush.
Palmolive or similar shaving soap.

The Murkur 34C (HD) seems to be the recommended starter shaver. How does the handle length affect things is 3" long enough?
Blades - get a selection pack and see how they go.

I am thinking connaught to get the razor and blades from?

Have I missed anything?

But seriously...

Merkur 34C - I love this razor. It seems a bit stubby but it's not
Sample pack of razors - tick
Bodger (boar and badger) - tick. The Vulfix 404 seems to be recommended a lot, I've only used mine a couple of times so can't really comment, but it seems okay.
Palmolive - dirt cheap and good, will get you started

You might want to order some lovely lovely Proraso aftershave balm (also from Connaught****888 eight eight), it truly is unparalleled.

And a block of alum.

And a razor stand.

And styptic pencils.

And aftershaves/colgones... someone make it stop, please...

Back
Top Bottom