Hi all!

G

Just a quick post to say "hello" :)

My name's Adam and whilst I've been wet shaving for the past 20 years, I've always used a cartridge razor (normally a Gillette).

Anyway - sick and tired of the high maintenance costs associated with that type of razor, I decided to try an "old-fashioned", fixed head DE razor - and as I was just trying it out, I bought a cheap one from Boots. All been going fine so far (just over a week!) - obviously had the odd cut here and there - but I feel I'm getting the hang of it now - hardly any cuts and am pretty happy with the shave I'm getting - I know that I still need a lot of practice to be "good" though!

So, my next step over the next couple of weeks is to try and get hold of some different types of blades and possibly a decent razor. And this is why I've stumbled into here - looking for hints, tips and advice - and all will be greatly appreciated!

I've started nosing about the forums already and read Pauls article on Merkur, Muehle & Jagger Heads.

Quite like the look of many of the Merkur razors - although, I don't know whether they would be appropriate for someone so new to this type of shaving - and obviously, looks aren't everything!

I've seen a Merkur HD 34C with a selection of blades (Derby, Gillette 7 o'clock, Astra, Shark, Wilkinsons Sword, Treet and Lord) for sale for about £30 - would this be a good introduction for me?

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks all! :)

Hi and welcome to TSR Adam! :D Sound slike you´re off to a good start! I would say it looks like a good deal, but I leave it for the ones who know more abpout DE.s thank me, to guide you.

Hi & very welcome Adam. The Merkur and blades for that price seem very fair to me. Merkurs are solid & well engineered razors, whether or not it's the one for you you'll probably only find out when you try it.
Enjoy the room.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Thanks for the welcome all :)

Looks like I should have move quicker - just went to buy that Merkur I was watching and it has just sold! Oh well - I'll keep my eyes open for another similar offer - there'll be others around I'm sure :)

Meanwhile, there seems to be plenty to read on here :)

Hi Adam and a warm welcome to you :)
I think the package youve suggested will prove to be an excellent choice,,it's a very good razor.
regards, beejay

If you're looking for a good condition razor without the hassle of Evil Bay & the advantage of knowing you're getting an accurate description from a proven seller you could do worse than put a post in the Buy, Sell, Trade section. Quite a few of our own TSR guys pick up (& hopefully also pay for ........... but one doesn't like to ask !) kit at car boots etc and sell them on after refurbishment. That's how I got my Gillette Slim from Sunbury, and there is also the advantage that most of them do "mates rates".

JohnnyO. \ :geek:

Back
Top Bottom