Help please - Micro stubble left under chin after shaving

Have been DE shaving regularly for about 5 years now and I get good results using relatively mild razors – have got a Merkur 20c and an EJ89 as my regular rotation, with Astra SP blades, which give a close, smooth overall shave. I always go WTG downwards, then XTG in from the ears and then ATG upwards.

The area I have problems with is anything under the chin. The razors I use seem to be shaving the under chin and neck-line OK, but always leave some hard micro-stubble in places there, even after repeat passes.

I have tried sharper blades (Feather) and also a more aggressive razor (Parker 96 Daytona) without any real success. Have tried careful skin stretching too, without any success. I can tell from the razor feedback that the stubble there is really wiry.

The question, for my learned friends, is whether to try a more aggressive razor or an adjustable ? or am I doing something wrong ?

I am confident that my technique is practiced enough to generally leave my skin nick free and feeling good, so wouldn’t recoil at the suggestion of a more aggressive razor like a slant, but just would like some seasoned advice from those that have used a lot of razor types.

Yeah it does seem to help reduce the stubble a little if i do follow up diagonal passes - trouble is i end up doing then doing 4 or 5 passes in total on the same patch of skin, which isn't good really.

Could be - i have literally tried every sort of pre-shave technique to soften the stubble and i just cant get this shaved smoothly and easily - particularly the area underneath my bottom jaw.

That's really why i am asking this question, whether an adjustable might be a solution , or a slant / more aggressive razor

Could be - i have literally tried every sort of pre-shave technique to soften the stubble and i just cant get this shaved smoothly and easily - particularly the area underneath my bottom jaw.

That's really why i am asking this question, whether an adjustable might be a solution , or a slant / more aggressive razor

I hope someone can offer further advice on this.

I am fortunate enough to be able to achieve my desired result using what most rate as mild razors (R6S #3 or 4, Tatara Masamune, AS D2 and EJDE89) with different blades including the Astra SP.

I hope you find the answer.

I get generally good results with mild razors, its just this particular area which is proving a little more difficult. The shave i get there is acceptable, i was simply wondering why this micro-stubble remains there, even thought i can feel / hear the blade cutting it down.

I get generally good results with mild razors, its just this particular area which is proving a little more difficult. The shave i get there is acceptable, i was simply wondering why this micro-stubble remains there, even thought i can feel / hear the blade cutting it down.
I could have written your post myself - exactly what I experience. I tried an expensive adjustable (Rex Ambassador) and only ended up with severs irritation. I get best results from mild razors. Especially the Henson or Feather AS D2. The Blackman Sabre L1 suits me for an SE. If I spend time beneath chin with a slick soap and new blade in my Henson, I can eventually get close to BBS there but it is a whole lot of effort.
I can be shaving away in that area and hear it 'cutting' but with very little actual success.

It's hard being a man as my mother used two say!

I just use a cart razor if I need a clean up.
Likewise - for all its failings, my Gillette Fusion wobbly-head is great for getting into and finishing off difficult areas.
I can be shaving away in that area and hear it 'cutting' but with very little actual success.
That's exactly it ! - it sounds like its doing the job, but stubble remains afterwards

Well thanks all for your insights and advice. It has confirmed to me that i am not doing anything majorly wrong (y)

just don't bother. beard there grows randomly, if you keep insisting you'll get only more and more irritation, and hence you will be forced not to insist in that any further. I speak from experience.
if I want a really close shave everywhere I just have to shave less frequently, like 3/4 days instead of 2

View attachment 83163
Absolutely so true....'"Perfection is the enemy of perfectly adequate."..Something that doesn't just apply to shaving perfection...A quote i have said to my production manager at work when he expects the quality standard to be higher, when it actually doesn't need to be. yours-Barry. (y)

Back
Top Bottom