Help please - Micro stubble left under chin after shaving

I'm rarely dissatisfied with the outcome (in terms of smoothness), but sometimes I make a meal of it or end up with irritation or weepers, for not keeping it simple. It's not that I aim for BBS, but I do get carried away when really I should consider fewer, more methodical strokes, possibly being content with a 2-pass. The times I go for 3 and touch-ups are always the uncomfortable ones. Almost like I get carried away and don't stop till I cut myself. Today was one of those where I had little need to carry on but did, and shouldn't have.

For ages I thought DFS just meant 50% off.

While stocks last, terms and conditions apply. Those sofas were never sold at full price anyway.

Last edited:
I Think the bottom line is a BBS is not achievable for many a person.

Have you ever tried mapping your face with cotton wool ?
Just a thought it might help
its actually impossible for most people, and its impossible for perhaps 90% of the people who claim to get that mythical BBS shave... and do note that 100% of those people claiming to get the mythical BBS shave also swear by using aftershaves and face balms that contain 2-4 TIMES the legal allowed menthol content of over the market PAIN CREAM..

The simple solution is to not chase BBS.

its actually impossible for most people, and its impossible for perhaps 90% of the people who claim to get that mythical BBS shave... and do note that 100% of those people claiming to get the mythical BBS shave also swear by using aftershaves and face balms that contain 2-4 TIMES the legal allowed menthol content of over the market PAIN CREAM..

It is DEFINITELY possible for everyone to achieve BBS.
No one person can categorically say that it is impossible for 90% of people to get BBS, and expect people to believe it. . . . .Actually . . . .
Remember, you're only 'expert' at shaving your own face

Permitted levels of menthol? - what's that got to.do with getting a close shave??

I don't think its impossible at all, but in my experience, BBS is a lot to do with how carefully you tighten / stretch the skin to present the hair properly for the blade to cut it close to the root, coupled with keeping a precise and accurate shaving angle.

The aftershaves and balms have nothing to do with the shave closeness - they just settle the skin down afterwards.

For me, a lot of the fun of DE shaving is noting the results and trying to improve the consistency of the shave. I always get an acceptable shave, but i do strive for perfection.

I get pretty smooth apart from a few awkward spots, especially under the jaw when I am using my straights. Chasing BBS there is a way to finish with A&E and I don't mean Ariana & Evans. Happy enough if most of my face is close to BBS, it's not a goal. Defeats the object if you need a pint of menthol or cream to calm your skin down. The aim is always a close but comfortable shave. DFS or CCS, whichever doesn't involve buying a new sofa for a mythical discount, that'll do.

menthol is used as a topical againt for NUMBING the skin.

look at aftershave, the chemical ingredients that do anything in it are ALCOHOL and MENTHOL>...

thus when people scrape away at the face and do 3, 4, 5 passes in that silly WTG< ATG< PTG< etc, they irritate the face so much that they need the menthol to dull the pain away.

Its why people love that frostbyte aftershave..

and the aftershaves are actually using up to 4-5 times the legal concentration allowed in an over the counter topical pain cream such as sold by Ben-Gay, Bio Freeze, Berri Freeze.

Its why when gillette and the other companies started making shaving goo in a can, menthol was a major ingredient. And when they started making "fancy" versions of their two blade cartridge razors, they merely glued a strip of material containing a gel with a high concentrate of menthol to the cartridge head.
more blades, more irritation, but that menthol strip was a nearly instantly dose of pain killer on the just tortured skin and with the tingly sensation men all over forgot about the BURN..

menthol is used as a topical againt for NUMBING the skin.

look at aftershave, the chemical ingredients that do anything in it are ALCOHOL and MENTHOL>...

thus when people scrape away at the face and do 3, 4, 5 passes in that silly WTG< ATG< PTG< etc, they irritate the face so much that they need the menthol to dull the pain away.

Its why people love that frostbyte aftershave..

and the aftershaves are actually using up to 4-5 times the legal concentration allowed in an over the counter topical pain cream such as sold by Ben-Gay, Bio Freeze, Berri Freeze.

Its why when gillette and the other companies started making shaving goo in a can, menthol was a major ingredient. And when they started making "fancy" versions of their two blade cartridge razors, they merely glued a strip of material containing a gel with a high concentrate of menthol to the cartridge head.
more blades, more irritation, but that menthol strip was a nearly instantly dose of pain killer on the just tortured skin and with the tingly sensation men all over forgot about the BURN..
Doesn't have any bearing in achieving a close shave?

Quoting muscle pain heat rub creams isn't relevant and is out of context here

The simple solution is to not chase BBS.

It is DEFINITELY possible for everyone to achieve BBS.
No one person can categorically say that it is impossible for 90% of people to get BBS, and expect people to believe it. . . . .Actually . . . .
Remember, you're only 'expert' at shaving your own face

Permitted levels of menthol? - what's that got to.do with getting a close shave??
I'm.glad you asked as I was confused...

Doesn't have any bearing in achieving a close shave?

Quoting muscle pain heat rub creams isn't relevant and is out of context here
you werent paying attention.

they only reason that people chase the mythical BBS shave is due to the ability to have a shave soap/cream that has more numbing power then ben gay, with an aftershave and even a pre shave with just as much pain killing power. HENCE, the 12 - pass shave that leads to BBS nirvana will NEVER cause irritation.

just lead to a menthol overdose.

they only reason that people chase the mythical BBS shave is due to the ability to have a shave soap/cream that has more numbing power then ben gay, with an aftershave and even a pre shave with just as much pain killing power. HENCE, the 12 - pass shave that leads to BBS nirvana will NEVER cause irritation.

Tell me, are you this rude to all strangers or am I receiving special treatment?
You really are a charmer aren't you?
Sat behind your screen dishing out your sermons to people who clearly don't give a damn about what you're on about.
Do yourself a favour and chill out - it's only shaving.

Last edited:

This is completely wrong, in my opinion.

I have had plenty of BBS shaves that were totally pain free and enjoyable - the only "pain" is that it takes time to prep the skin first and I the have to shave quite slowly and carefully to achieve BBS, so it takes about 20+ minutes all together.

They involve 4 passes usually; down, across both ways, then up the face.

Plus a few touch ups.

I don't have any notable burning or irritation afterwards and use either plain water or a splash of witch-hazel as aftershave. I use balm mainly as a moisturiser because shaving dries the skin out, but its not essential.

The rest of the time i can get a DFS in about 10mins or less with a quicker 2 pass and it feels for the most part like a BBS, until i stretch the skin and then i can feel the stubble.

I shave every day with my trusted Gillette Mach 3 razor, and I have never had any problems. I have fairly thick and heavy beard growth, so to go even one day without shaving would be unthinkable.

With reference to the OP, I DID experience similar problems when I used an electric razor, many years ago. I soon saw the error of my ways, though, and started to shave the "proper way", with a wet razor, and I haven't looked back since. I would never use an electric razor again. Those things are purely for "bum fluff".

Back
Top Bottom