Help please - Micro stubble left under chin after shaving

Have been DE shaving regularly for about 5 years now and I get good results using relatively mild razors – have got a Merkur 20c and an EJ89 as my regular rotation, with Astra SP blades, which give a close, smooth overall shave. I always go WTG downwards, then XTG in from the ears and then ATG upwards.

The area I have problems with is anything under the chin. The razors I use seem to be shaving the under chin and neck-line OK, but always leave some hard micro-stubble in places there, even after repeat passes.

I have tried sharper blades (Feather) and also a more aggressive razor (Parker 96 Daytona) without any real success. Have tried careful skin stretching too, without any success. I can tell from the razor feedback that the stubble there is really wiry.

The question, for my learned friends, is whether to try a more aggressive razor or an adjustable ? or am I doing something wrong ?

I am confident that my technique is practiced enough to generally leave my skin nick free and feeling good, so wouldn’t recoil at the suggestion of a more aggressive razor like a slant, but just would like some seasoned advice from those that have used a lot of razor types.

Yeah it does seem to help reduce the stubble a little if i do follow up diagonal passes - trouble is i end up doing then doing 4 or 5 passes in total on the same patch of skin, which isn't good really.

Could be - i have literally tried every sort of pre-shave technique to soften the stubble and i just cant get this shaved smoothly and easily - particularly the area underneath my bottom jaw.

That's really why i am asking this question, whether an adjustable might be a solution , or a slant / more aggressive razor

I hope someone can offer further advice on this.

I am fortunate enough to be able to achieve my desired result using what most rate as mild razors (R6S #3 or 4, Tatara Masamune, AS D2 and EJDE89) with different blades including the Astra SP.

I hope you find the answer.

I get generally good results with mild razors, its just this particular area which is proving a little more difficult. The shave i get there is acceptable, i was simply wondering why this micro-stubble remains there, even thought i can feel / hear the blade cutting it down.

I could have written your post myself - exactly what I experience. I tried an expensive adjustable (Rex Ambassador) and only ended up with severs irritation. I get best results from mild razors. Especially the Henson or Feather AS D2. The Blackman Sabre L1 suits me for an SE. If I spend time beneath chin with a slick soap and new blade in my Henson, I can eventually get close to BBS there but it is a whole lot of effort.
I can be shaving away in that area and hear it 'cutting' but with very little actual success.

It's hard being a man as my mother used two say!

I just use a cart razor if I need a clean up.
Likewise - for all its failings, my Gillette Fusion wobbly-head is great for getting into and finishing off difficult areas.
I can be shaving away in that area and hear it 'cutting' but with very little actual success.
That's exactly it ! - it sounds like its doing the job, but stubble remains afterwards

Well thanks all for your insights and advice. It has confirmed to me that i am not doing anything majorly wrong

Absolutely so true....'"Perfection is the enemy of perfectly adequate."..Something that doesn't just apply to shaving perfection...A quote i have said to my production manager at work when he expects the quality standard to be higher, when it actually doesn't need to be. yours-Barry.