Help needed for a shaving documentary

Hi,

I’m pretty new to wet shaving, having only started a couple of months ago. But couldn't have done it without the help of guys like you on these and other forums. The experience has been great, not only realising what I have been missing all these years, but also finding like minded, friendly, approachable people who feel the same.

Since I’ve been using my DE merkur classic I’ve got to thinking why wet shaving has been abandoned, and have decided to make a short documentary about it.

So, I’d like to call on you all once again for help! But this time I’m not looking for tips but your experiences.

Tell me:
What’s your earliest memory of shaving (doesn’t have to be YOUR first shave)?
Who, if anyone, taught you to shave?
What does wet shaving mean to you?
What fond memories do you have of wet shaving?
Why do you think wet shaving with straight or DE razors is no longer popular? What has been lost in the process?

Or if you have any other comments on the experience of wet straight/DE shaving let me know! I’d love to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

That's too much like hard work for me James :) so i'll pass on this one if you don't mind.
Good luck with your documentary though.
regards, beejay

What kind of documentary are you doing? Maybe you should try it the old way, like DE and cut throat shaving and actually do interviews with people you find interesting ... Just a thought ;)

Personally I have written on various things and got good feedback...just open your mind and get creative!..be as descriptive as possible..things should go well and re read/check spelling!... :mrgreen:

Best of Luck!
Blades

It's no great mystery how we arrived at this point in shaving development, some very basic research should get you what you want. Most folks are here because they were never taught to shave properly and it was never a pleasant experience for them so their "fondest" memories of wet shaving was not experiencing pain or irritation. Eureka moments (documentary fodder) rarely happen because it's a learning process and improvement is gradual so if I were in your position I'd look at the historical product development of the safety razor and shaving methods to the present day and make a short film about that.

Any documentary based on a bladed instrument revealed to a man named "King Camp" in a vision of the night has to have a gr8 hook in. Then one of the greatest marketing strategies of the last century when he gave one of the new DE Gillettes to each of the American troops travelling to Europe for the 1st World War. When the British Forces saw this new invention and how convenient it was for use in the trenches compared to the open straight razor he had then managed to open up a whole new market in a different country. All this ...................... and he sold the blades they had to renew !

JohnnyO. ;)

There's at least one thread here where chaps discuss what got them in to our sort of shaving, and numerous ones on some of the larger sites. Good to have you here and if you stick around you'll get to know individuals well enough to ask personal questions. Welcome to TSR! :D

Jesus, I can see it now.

Q: "So what got you into wet shaving?"

A: Cost B: Irritation C: Both

FINE.

PC will watch it or follow you on twitter.

antdad said:
Jesus, I can see it now.

Q: "So what got you into wet shaving?"

A: Cost B: Irritation C: Both

FINE.

PC will watch it or follow you on twitter.
I have an alternative vision. A series of hour long documentaries on BBC4 (inevitably) tracing the development of shaving from paleolithic flint tools to the nine-bladed wonder razor we all know and love, by way of the the Roman novacila, the cut throat razor from the middle ages to its heyday in the nineteenth century, the early safety razors both single and double edged, and the supremely sophisticated Gillettes of the 40s and 50s. A pogonomatological feast! One which I'll miss out on owing to the lack of a telly, and which I'll deplore as I watch the price of a shaver grade Superspeed soar to £50.

How could you complain about it when they turned it into a 10 minute short filler for Dave (bloke TV)? We are closer than you think Andy.

Something doesn't quite smell right, I'd wager that this is some sort research project for school/college hence my pithy tone...could be wrong of course but lets see.

Who would want to see a documentary about shaving ? I recommend a documentary about 'Tits' , (most) men love tits and were raised on them . Or you could make a documetary about Shaving and 'tits' .....
Is'nt there a blog called the 'shavingtit' or something like that ?

Back
Top Bottom