Help, I need a suit.

Re: RE: Help, I need a suit.

antdad said:
High and bloody Mighty then.

The high and mighty type stores on the high street tend to be very pricey, and by the time you've bought something online and then had it retailored it's pricey too. Luckily Slaters cater to unusual sizes, even short-limbed six-foot 320lb freaks like me - and their quality is plenty good enough for public schoolmastering.

If I were sure I was at the size I was staying at, I'd invest in a fully tailored wardrobe piece by piece - but I'm not.

Dr Rick said:
antdad said:
High and bloody Mighty then.

The high and mighty type stores on the high street tend to be very pricey, and by the time you've bought something online and then had it retailored it's pricey too. Luckily Slaters cater to unusual sizes, even short-limbed six-foot 320lb freaks like me - and their quality is plenty good enough for public schoolmastering.

If I were sure I was at the size I was staying at, I'd invest in a fully tailored wardrobe piece by piece - but I'm not.

I think a serious re-consideration of avatar is required here - Vinny has dispensed with his Victorian strong man - maybe you should make an offer.

I fear I'm not nearly so lean... and since a couple of new superheavyweight lifters have just appeared on the scene doing crazy numbers, I suspect 2011 will have been my last year of national champion trophies until I'm in the old-boy classes... Hey ho!

I sell vintage Savile Row suits for a living, so I've picked up some knowledge about what to look for in terms of quality. I wrote an article a few years back on how to buy the best suit for your money. You can find the article here:

http://www.savvyrow.co.uk/blogs/savvy-blog/1950872-how-to-buy-the-best-suit-for-your-money

The last section has tips about what to specifically look for in an off-the-peg suit. At £200 I would either look for a discounted lightweight DAKS suit at Slaters, or head to M&S (their stuff is still pretty well made and comes off the same production lines as most of the 'premium' designer brands).

Hope this helps.

+1 on suits at Slaters for price and quality.

M&S do "made to measure" shirts on-line which are a joy. You put in your height, honest weight, collar etc and choose style of fit/collar style/ cuff etc. They are not over expensive and have a better feel and look on than true made to measure from Ede & Ravenscroft in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom