Help, I need a suit.

I haven't bought a suit for about 10 years and now I need one.

Going to a wedding in Spain so something light, modern/contempery.
As I don't expect to wear it for another 10 years max I am putting down is £200.

Anyone got any recommendations from the high street (I am in London) I would normally just head into marks n Spencer's or next.

No online for this I don't have time for any returns if it's not right.

Anyone bought from T K Maxx?

Cheers

Have bought shirts and trousers from TK Maxx and they're fine; some real bargains but its a bit like a jumble sale with stuff crammed on rails and you just have to plough through the lot. Another thing I've been told is that TK Maxx put the quality of stock to reflect their suuroundings, ie posh area, posh stuff.

If you are near central London, loads of sales so you could probably get a very decent suit on sale in some brand/designer shop. I got a BOSS suit last year at a decent discount in the sales!

Hope this helps.

Hi Jason, if i were you i would certainly check out the Autograph range and the Collezione range from Marks & Spencers, great styling with lots of mix and match options. Also nice linen collection including the shirts.

Jamie.

I've found that any suit that I've purchased in the past has needed some tailoring to look good on me. If the shop that you purchase it from doesn't have it's own tailor to do alterations , you may find that locating a good off-site tailor more important than where you buy it from.

In that price range I'd recommend Slater's, assuming they exist in London. They measure up and do alterations free too.

Can't really comment on M&S as none of their jackets fit me.

Dr Rick said:
Can't really comment on M&S as none of their jackets fit me.

Dr Rick - I've never met anyone that can't fit into an M&S jacket - 3 different lengths, umpteen chest sizes plus mix and match trousers. I think this needs further explanation.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I know that if I go to Marks's I will get what I want, but I like a bit of retail therapy so will explore some of your suggestions and then probably end up in Marks's :D

My nearest Slaters is 45 miles away so thats a no no.

All the other stores mentioned are within 15 minutes of me so I will explore.

Jamie, I bought a shirt recently from Marks's, it was from the Sartorial collection, its one hell of a lovely shirt. The cotton used is quality, the cut and detailing of it class. Better then the Autograph & Collezione range I thought.

Cheers

I know several people who can't. Their chest sizes stop at 52, in my experience at least. A couple of my training partners have bigger chests than that.

My chest is only 51" last time I measured, but my suit jackets are mostly 56 chest, as smaller ones won't go over my shoulders and arms.

A lot of the chain stores are doing excellent medium quality tailoring now. There was an opening in the market that they have filled. Cheap suits that look nice, a "premium" range of shirts at Tesco and Asda coupled with a "premium" range of suits at around the £120-150 range. For me these are perfect for work; and the £50 suit fills a void before getting something nice once I'm down to fighting weight - half an inch of the neck and over 2 on the waist and still counting :)

Re: RE: Help, I need a suit.

Dr Rick said:
I know several people who can't. Their chest sizes stop at 52, in my experience at least. A couple of my training partners have bigger chests than that.

My chest is only 51" last time I measured, but my suit jackets are mostly 56 chest, as smaller ones won't go over my shoulders and arms.
My chest size is 48" since I started using this new machine at the gym. It's great - Snickers, Mars, Bounty - work up a real sweat chomping my way through all them.

Back
Top Bottom