Hello from Wokingham - Berkshire

Hi - Found this site from Connaughts link page and thought I'd sign up!

I've been wet shaving for years but using the modern stuff I'm afraid!

My wife bought me a really nice badger brush for Christmas last year and I've started with getting some some supplies from Connaught and local chemists. I have tried some of the expensive stuff from Taylors and Trumper but have found I prefer the much cheaper alternatives from Palmolive, erasmic etc. helps the wallet as well.

I've also started a bit of a collection of aftershaves, so far with Poraso, Speick, Pitralon and Pashana. So far SPeick and Pashana are firm favourites and as they are so very different it makes it easier to chose depending on the mood I'm in.

I'd like to try some Bay Rum and I believe Sallys stores do a good nice priced one,.

I have been thinking about getting into DE but have so far wimped out. There seems to be so much choice and too many things to consider when buying one that I'd shied away from it. I don't really want to spend a load of money on something that I then don't get on with. But I'm willing to give it a try if the investment isn't too much may look out for a used one.

welcome aboard, you will find that you can get some good DE razors at a low price, some even cheaper than a pack of carts for a multiblade system.I am sure it wont be long :D

Welcome...you really have two choices of razor, vintage or new.

£15 - £25 should get you something that will last a lifetime and as we all know will save you money in the long run.

There isn't really any razor that you shouldn't be able to learn use properly so there's nothing to worry about, read the threads, see what you like the sound of and then ask away.

Welcome

You will find it hard to better this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE87db5||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@bEdwin%20Jagger|0|user||15|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... |user||15|</a><!-- m -->

So you really don't need to spend too much to go DE.

But just enjoy and do your own thing. That's what everyone else does!

ooh that looks nice - they also do it with a black handle. Might just give DE shaving a go.
I'm a bit worried as I've been known to cut myself quite a bit with a Mach3!

I watched a few videos that were posted on this forum so have a fairly good idea what is involved. I always shave in the shower - just find it easier that way.

If your cutting yourself with a M3 in the shower I'd leave the shave till after the shower, it's better to be able to see what you are doing.

Follow the guides on the forum and you'll be fine.

Hello and welcome,

The best thing about this soon to be addictive venture is how cheap you can actually start off with and if you then choose to (its hard not to) gradually venture into the dearer brands.

My first razor was a £3.50 ish Boots DE, don’t let the price fool you, it’s a great razor and Palmolive can hold its own against a lot of the higher priced alternatives.

Keep your first set up the same for as long as it takes you to feel comfortable with it.

Find your favourite blade/blades and your more than half way there.
Practice, perceiver and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to TSR, sir. Looks like you might've been tempted into buying something you didn't think you wanted - that's quick work even for us :lol: If you do get a DE, may I suggest that you invest in a sample pack of blades from Connaught?

Arrowhead said:
Welcome to TSR, sir. Looks like you might've been tempted into buying something you didn't think you wanted - that's quick work even for us :lol: If you do get a DE, may I suggest that you invest in a sample pack of blades from Connaught?

Yeah - I know how bad forums are!! I'm a member of few watch forums and running forums, always end up seeming to NEED something new every time I go on!

I was looking at the Connaught blade samples and thought it made a great idea. Now what razor to get........

Hi sjedwardz, welcome to TSR! If you don't mind taking a punt, the razor Fido recommended is pretty much a dead cert. I think going for a new razor to begin with is better than venturing in to the world of vintage razors. You may try others but there's a good chance you'll keep going back to the Edwin Jagger.

Whichever razor you go for be sure to take a few weeks to get used to it.

:D

Back
Top Bottom