Heart attack takeaway...

I fell for one just now...

A "Glasgow Oyster" - and now I think I'm going to die.

There is no seafood involved in this, despite the name... Take a bread roll, slice it open and butter it. Then insert a deep-fried scotch pie.

I can feel my arteries clogging. If I don't post again in the next hour, someone call an ambulance :?

hunnymonster said:
I fell for one just now...

A "Glasgow Oyster" - and now I think I'm going to die.

There is no seafood involved in this, despite the name... Take a bread roll, slice it open and butter it. Then insert a deep-fried scotch pie.

I can feel my arteries clogging. If I don't post again in the next hour, someone call an ambulance :?

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds tasty! Lard or oil?

Yes, I can see the need for butter, it pays to do things correctly.

Any Tommy K used or did you simply wolf it down sans condiments.

I just Googled "scotch pie" and am now killing myself laughing that you ate such a thing in a bread roll. That's up there with the Waggon Burgers me and my mates ate (like a burger, but we took the meat out and replaced it with a Waggon Wheel, it was heinous).

another blast from childhood was a fish-finger sanny

not quite up there with the pie version but the weegies are a breed alone

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNLfr1EP08" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNLfr1EP08</a><!-- m -->

A rumoured delicacy in the NE is a small uncut loaf (may be large if one is peckish I guess), one end crust cut off and the internal bread removed. The cavity is liberally filled with as many chips as necessary and augmented by curry/gravy/Tommy K (delete as appropriate or blend as required).

Not something I have experienced; it may be urban myth but it is so gross I would doubt it.

I am always horrified when I see babies in pushchairs being soothed by a "Greggs dummy",aka a sausage roll or cheese pasty with the pastry aal ower the place.

Why should Britain tremble, eh?
:roll:

Nothing wrong with a Greggs. Ok there is, only 12% meat apparently!
Sausage and bean melts from there are very nice though.
Im abit of a fan of fast food(not bad for a cyclist is it? :roll: ) and do enjoy going super sized with my XL double cheese burger :hungrig
Bacon also should NEVER be done under the grill, only in the frying pan, and you should let some oil drip off, but the rest should be left ont he bacon. Dont put it on kitchen roll to get rid of that fat.
Even better when the butter melts on the bread. Mmmmmmmmmm :hungrig :hungrig :hungrig

Blyth Spirit said:
A rumoured delicacy in the NE is a small uncut loaf (may be large if one is peckish I guess), one end crust cut off and the internal bread removed. The cavity is liberally filled with as many chips as necessary and augmented by curry/gravy/Tommy K (delete as appropriate or blend as required).

Go look up "bunny chow".... it's older than you think and South African :eek:

hunnymonster said:
Blyth Spirit said:

Go look up "bunny chow".... it's older than you think and South African :eek:

Sir, I am in awe of your culinary omniscience ;) - it would appear, ergo, that the Empire was not a complete waste of time?

It must have been one of the real men's regiments that either introduced it or lifted the idea...get fell in!
:lol:

It came as a surprise to me about 2 or 3 years ago - I was just regaling one of my South African mates about the gluttony of the previous evening and he sent me a link to bunnychow which pretty much fit with what I'd described... the only thing missing was Mrs H.S. Balls' Chutney to make it "authentic". It's not easy to get a hold of here, unless you live near Waitrose (they sell it, in amongst the pasta sauces).

hunnymonster said:
It came as a surprise to me about 2 or 3 years ago - I was just regaling one of my South African mates about the gluttony of the previous evening and he sent me a link to bunnychow which pretty much fit with what I'd described... the only thing missing was Mrs H.S. Balls' Chutney to make it "authentic". It's not easy to get a hold of here, unless you live near Waitrose (they sell it, in amongst the pasta sauces).

It sounds like a decidedly dodgy condiment methinks :shock:

Who is this Mrs H.S. anyway?

Mrs.%20Balls%20Original%20Recipe%20.JPG

Back
Top Bottom