HDTV quality doesn't seem much better.

Just plumbed in a Sky HD box (given to me) without an HD package, I'm pleased to see that I can can get the Free to air HD channels but I don't see that the quality is massively better, its on a 32" LCD TV with a minor brand which has a LG panel.

TBH if I was paying £120 a year extra I would be feeling pretty let down! Is it more noticeable on a >37" TV or just a case of the emperors new clothes?

Jeltz said:
Just plumbed in a Sky HD box (given to me) without an HD package, I'm pleased to see that I can can get the Free to air HD channels but I don't see that the quality is massively better, its on a 32" LCD TV with a minor brand which has a LG panel.

TBH if I was paying £120 a year extra I would be feeling pretty let down! Is it more noticeable on a >37" TV or just a case of the emperors new clothes?

To be honest needs to be over 32" to make a difference

Even with Freeview HD I find the upgrade in picture a noticeable improvement. Just to make sure Nic, have you connected it via HDMI? I only ask as a mate of mine connected his Sky HD up to a brand new 50" LED TV via SCART and didn't know better until I pointed out that his picture was remarkably crap.

The Masters Golf was phenomenal on HD as is the football.

David Attenbourgh's animal programmes is another which is jaw dropping on HD.

I have a 37" LG LCD.

When my Dad was going for an HD package, the lady at Sky said "whatever you do, don't do what I did and get a TV that's too small".

He didn't. He got a 42" plasma and it's really very impressive, but he does say that the HD on Freesat seems to be better quality than from Sky.

Ian

When set up properly on HD television the quality is great.

Full 1080p Blu Ray on a full HD television goes one step even further :)

Size of the screen and how far away you sit from it is important as well.

We had a 32" LCD previously and could definitely tell the difference between SD and HD broadcasts. We've now gone to a 42" Plasma and the increased screen size probably does show the benefits of HD more.

Its particularly noticeable for sports broadcasts. As said above, the Masters looked spectacular at the weekend. The Champions League football on Wednesday night should be a good showcase of the difference between the two.

Yep Jim its on HDMI,

I guess its the size of the TV, and yes there is some improvement but its not as much as I was expecting. That said I've only watched a couple of programs on BBC 1HD which may not be a good representation.

There's something all of you forgot: what's the resolution of your LCD panel? Is it *full HD* aka 1920 x 1080 (or "1080p"), or only *HD ready*? If it's not full HD it might not be that of a difference at all...
My in laws have a 42" full HD SONY and a mixed bunch of programmes (some HD some not) and when you switch to a HD channel it's not like you have to think and check if it is HD you are like WOOOW and then you switch back to a non-HD and you're like OMG. Through HDMI of course, cos SCART output is sampled down from HD even if the channel is HD.

tritrek said:
There's something all of you forgot: what's the resolution of your LCD panel? Is it *full HD* aka 1920 x 1080 (or "1080p"), or only *HD ready*? If it's not full HD it might not be that of a difference at all...
My in laws have a 42" full HD SONY and a mixed bunch of programmes (some HD some not) and when you switch to a HD channel it's not like you have to think and check if it is HD you are like WOOOW and then you switch back to a non-HD and you're like OMG. Through HDMI of course, cos SCART output is sampled down from HD even if the channel is HD.

Aren't HD broadcasts in the UK currently only 1080i anyway? Certainly on the free to air HD channels I think this is the case. So it makes no difference if the TV is full HD or only HD Ready.

Yellow Jim said:
tritrek said:

Aren't HD broadcasts in the UK currently only 1080i anyway? Certainly on the free to air HD channels I think this is the case. So it makes no difference if the TV is full HD or only HD Ready.

That's what I thought as well. I know that Sky HD is 1080i not 1080p. The only way to get 1080p is Blu-Ray.

I believe satellite HD is transmitted at 720P and 1080i, freeview HD is only 720P.

I have a 42 inch TV plus a Freesat HD box and ISTR reading 720P is better than 1080i for watching fast action. If I switch my freesat box between 720P and 1080i output, I can't detect any difference and I doubt anyone could if they weren't told.

Also, some programs broadcast on HD channels are upscaled so you only get SD anyway.

Adam D said:
Yellow Jim said:
tritrek said:

That's what I thought as well. I know that Sky HD is 1080i not 1080p. The only way to get 1080p is Blu-Ray.

Sorry gentlemen but that's BS :)

At first 1080i means 1080 pixel rows interlaced and 1080p means 1080 pixel rows progressive scan, just different norms but (theoretically) the same picture.

Then some info on "HD Ready" - it only means your TV can process HD signal INput and DOWNsample to the resolution of your panel (NOT HD). No need to emphasize downsampling means loss of quality, blah blah, etc etc...

It needs a little techie info too: good picture means every pixel from the broadcasted picture gets its pixel on the panel. One-on-One it looks great. BUT. If you have a HD broadcast and not have a full HD panel then strange things might happen.
E.g. you have a HD ready TV with a HD TV signal... now 1920 pixels need to fit in 1024, 1600 or any other number of pixels...
This means e.g. a picture information of black-white-black-white-black (pixels) will be averaged to grayish; or black-black-white-white-black will be black-black-grey. Now this is easy with monochrome (B&W) picture but if we go colour... imagine...

So the only way to be able to see Full (true) HD is to have a full HD panel (1920 x 1080), plus you need a source: blue ray, HDTV, whatever ;)

tritek I think its a lot more complicated than that especially once you start looking at frame rates and refresh rates. 1080p is regarded as having the smoother picture because the odd and even pixel rows are displayed together.Ergo IMO it was not BS.

I know when I changed my TV last year I looked at a number things, size, LCD/LED or Plasma, Frame refresh rate and contrast and finaly what i liked........ ;)
So I ended up with a 32" LED Sharp, hooked up to a Pioneer Blu Ray and Sky HD. And yes there is a major difference between HD and SD programs as long as they are made in HD in the 1st place.
Some older programs can look worse on the HD channel than on the SD version.........but the payback was in the TV sound, I had to spend out on a home theater system.
With LCD/LED/Plasma TV's the size and type you buy will depend on the distance you sit from it if it is too close or it is too big it will look crap...........there is an equation on the net to work out what size TV would suit your room.
A 32"TV is the biggest I could have in my room without getting colour washout...........and yes it is "Full HD" and the eye opener for me was the last Batman movie on Blu Ray........all I can say is WOW....... :shock: :shock:

Jeltz,you checked the settings on the Sky box ?

Back
Top Bottom