Hair Tonics

I have come late to hair tonics, but I have now been using them for a good five years. Initially I used Eau de Portugal from various brands but generally I have stuck to Vines Vintage. For the last 18 months I have been using Reuzel, which is great. I have just received two tonics from a British brand - Morgan. One is Bay Rum scented and is very nice, the other Menthol. I first saw hair tonics when I saw Tabac hair tonic in Boots twenty years ago. I regret not buying it. Do you use a hair tonic?

There are many vintage brands out there:

Vaseline
Pinaud
Jeris
Vitalis
Tabac
Reuzel
Morgan
Vines
Denman/Jack Dean/ Pashana
Lucky Tiger
Yanagiya
Kaminomoto

I will try the two Japanese brands listed above next.

Photos to follow...

I've never used one, as I considered them to be perfumed snake oil.

Do they actually do anything for either the hair or the scalp?
They allow me to use my military brush to style my shortish hair. They also provide scalp nourishment, and lastly they have great scents.

I am attracted to the traditions of the past. Applying Eau de Portugal, Eau de Cologne, and Lotion pour friction.

I am an Edwardian gentleman without the morning suit.

When I did, I enjoyed Pinaud the most (non-greasy) Quinine. Pashana Bay Rum made me smile a lot. Vines was okay, but a tad err ... dunno, erm, burnt? Morgans I chucked in the bin. Too greasy. Lucky Tiger was too sticky for my liking. I never got around to Jeris or Tabac or Vaseline.

Surf and salt sprays are for volume. They'll dry out the hair.

I have just ordered the Tabac hair tonic. I thought it was discontinued, but glade to find it's still available.
I am sure I read that this was not scented with the Tabac scent. But it is, its quite strong. It's probably better for day wear. However, I applied it after my shower and lying in my hotel bed I can't stop sneezing...

I love Tabac, I have the AS, EdT, the new formula bowl and, thanks to Uncle Donnie, a tallow bowl incoming. I don't bother with matching deo, shampoo etc, but I was completely unaware they had a hair tonic in the range. I'm only really aware of hair tonics due to Benjamin's Bay rum which I used as a splash and rubbed a bit on me bonce from time to time, but I fear the days of me needing a hair tonic are, er, receding (as am I!) I'll have to make do with the splashes for the scent. What hair I have is too short to benefit from anything other than clippers.

They allow me to use my military brush to style my shortish hair. They also provide scalp nourishment, and lastly they have great scents.

I am attracted to the traditions of the past. Applying Eau de Portugal, Eau de Cologne, and Lotion pour friction.

I am an Edwardian gentleman without the morning suit.
"They also provide scalp nourishment".

I seriously doubt this, though I'm quite prepared to be corrected. If there is any benefit to the hair or scalp from their use, I suspect it might be from increased blood circulation through massaging the tonic in.

They can be very refreshing, especially on a hot day. Pashana Eau de Portugal particularly so.

I don't think it's the same type of product but I really like the vaseline hair tonic / scalp conditioner. very nostalgic lemony scent for me and I do find it moisturising since it's mineral oil based. I haven't used any other hair tonics but having a look, they seem to not contain oil but water, alcohol, glycerine and fragrance.

Back
Top Bottom