Guitar players

I was wondering if TSR has any guitar players amongst us.
If so what do you have, and what guitar is your "Go to" instrument?

My current stash is

Futurama strat (new and customised)
Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2009 (Gold Top finish)
Rally les paul (new and customised)
Freshman FA300D acoustic
Vox Vt40+ (pratice/ noodling)
Marshall Class 5 ( Rock God mode + couldn't afford a blues breakers combo :blush:)
Special effects department....

Boss me 50
Electro harmonix cathedral stereo reverb
The Vox Vt40+

My go to guitar is the cheep strat / cheep lespaul....Kids around.

Happy picking, John

Nice rig there, John. What kind of music do you play?

I'm a blues/jazz/rock/fusion home player these days. Here's mine:

Guitars: Yamaha SA2200, Hamer USA Monaco Elite, Hamer USA Newport, Hamer USA Studio, Custom Strat, Larrivee DV-09 acoustic
Amp: Two-Rock Studio Pro 22
Board: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe > Turbo Tuner > DAM Drag'n'Fly > DryBell Vibe > DAM Red Rooster > Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria > Timmy > Supa-Trem > Skreddy Echo > AD999 delay

All my guitars are in rotation, so I can't say I have a go to guitar, but Yamaha SA2200 (ES335 style) could cover most bases if I absolutely had to go down to one.

Mostly blues,blues/Rock until Miss J tells me to quiet the noise down,then I'll start playing something different just to keep the peace, I've got into sweep picking just of late, your guitar, rig sounds good, love the 335 type guitars as they can be universal.

Like you I play at home, but still enjoy my self,plenty of sounds to amuse myself :icon_razz:

Got a good few on the go at the moment - including a 1961 Fender Jazz bass, a Fender Lite Ash Strat, Fender Lite Ash Telecaster, Gibson SG Standard in Ebony, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Firebird Studio, Squire Precision bass, Fender Standard Strat in Olympic White and a seriously roadworn Fender Mexican Strat in sunburst.

Also running a Boss GT-6 multi-effects unit, a Roland VS-2000 Digital mutlitrack recording studio, Boss GT6B bass multi-effects unit and a load of other bits and bobs.

Got images but having problems attaching to the post (any advice on how to achieve this most welcome).

Adam

sagesmith said:
Got a good few on the go at the moment - including a 1961 Fender Jazz bass, a Fender Lite Ash Strat, Fender Lite Ash Telecaster, Gibson SG Standard in Ebony, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Firebird Studio, Squire Precision bass, Fender Standard Strat in Olympic White and a seriously roadworn Fender Mexican Strat in sunburst.

Also running a Boss GT-6 multi-effects unit, a Roland VS-2000 Digital mutlitrack recording studio, Boss GT6B bass multi-effects unit and a load of other bits and bobs.

Got images but having problems attaching to the post (any advice on how to achieve this most welcome).

Adam

Hi Adam have you tried the new attachment feature that upload thumb Nail's so people can click on them and hay presto, hopefully :s looking forward to seeing them :cool:

Yeah, tried that John - unfortunately it doesn't seem to work (almost certainly user error).

I'll give it another go later when I;'m not at work and see if I can get the images up.

If not, I presume I can upload from Tapatalk app later this evening.

Here's some photos...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674135.980995.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674135.980995.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 30
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674148.071483.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674148.071483.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 36
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674160.932357.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674160.932357.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 29
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674169.877391.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360674169.877391.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 37
My main instruments are my half-dozen Ibanez, with the two JEMs coming out first - must especially the floral.

Moving to a bigger place brought my old gigging rig back out of retirement, too.

Some of the guitars (but not the floral JEM, which I unpacked separately):

[attachment=6552]

The Rack O'Doom, with desert yellow JEM (floral awaiting a string change):

[attachment=6553]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360677979871.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360677979871.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360678056153.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360678056153.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 47
Dr Rick said:
My main instruments are my half-dozen Ibanez, with the two JEMs coming out first - must especially the floral.

Moving to a bigger place brought my old gigging rig back out of retirement, too.

That's a lovely amp/effects rig. I'm guessing you go for the harder types of rock, judging by your choice of guitar. Stevie Vai fan?

I'm a sax player really, but I've messed around with guitars for 40 years now.
Acoustic - Fylde Orsino, mainly for fingerstyle country blues, sometimes a bit of a folky thing
Electric - Gordon-Smith GS 1.5 (I think... Les Paul style anyway)
No major amps or pedals of note.

Sax (since you ask) - Selmer Series III, Dukoff mouthpiece. Used to play in a soul band and nearly gave up the day job. Ran out of energy for that one about 10 years ago. Then played bass for a few years, as it was easier to get local gigs without too much bother. Bought and sold loads of basses, but currently left with:

Fender American Jazz (should have bought this one on day one)
Warwick Thumb Bolt on fretless
(both four string)
Mark Bass and EBS amplification, pre-amps and the like

Just one point about guitars... it's incredible what you can get on a budget nowadays... in the 70s budget guitars were virtually unplayable. Recently sold a Squier CV Tele and it was astonishing for the money. If I couldn't keep my posh basses I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Squier Jazz. Likewise, the learning tools you can get now are also amazing... guitar pro for example. I know some people might think that huddling over a record player in the years past and trying to transcribe your own stuff was good discipline... I'd say, arse to that!

img0250ag.jpg

img0241mah.jpg

sorry about the photos :blush:

Apart from the Gold top the others are Chinese that I've modded, and have turned out pretty good and fun to do ( but expensive ) :)

sagesmith said:
Dr Rick said:

That's a lovely amp/effects rig. I'm guessing you go for the harder types of rock, judging by your choice of guitar. Stevie Vai fan?
I'll say that rack looks the nuts :heart:

WiffWaff said:
I'm a sax player really, but I've messed around with guitars for 40 years now.
Acoustic - Fylde Orsino, mainly for fingerstyle country blues, sometimes a bit of a folky thing
Electric - Gordon-Smith GS 1.5 (I think... Les Paul style anyway)
No major amps or pedals of note.

Sax (since you ask) - Selmer Series III, Dukoff mouthpiece. Used to play in a soul band and nearly gave up the day job. Ran out of energy for that one about 10 years ago. Then played bass for a few years, as it was easier to get local gigs without too much bother. Bought and sold loads of basses, but currently left with:

Fender American Jazz (should have bought this one on day one)
Warwick Thumb Bolt on fretless
(both four string)
Mark Bass and EBS amplification, pre-amps and the like

Just one point about guitars... it's incredible what you can get on a budget nowadays... in the 70s budget guitars were virtually unplayable. Recently sold a Squier CV Tele and it was astonishing for the money. If I couldn't keep my posh basses I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Squier Jazz. Likewise, the learning tools you can get now are also amazing... guitar pro for example. I know some people might think that huddling over a record player in the years past and trying to transcribe your own stuff was good discipline... I'd say, arse to that!
some of the Chinese guitars are very good for the money and apart from being a pain in the back side to modify, they can give a surprising pleasant playing experience enough to send the eyebrows skyward, sure they need a good set up/fretwork, but when thats done they can grow with the player a bit longer.:icon_smile:

Bass player here.

Currently just have 2 basses; A Warwick Corvette 4-string and an Ibanez 5-string.

The Corvette was my main gigging bass during my time with a covers band. I had 2, in fact, as one was a spare.

Used to run them through a Hartke HA3500 rack mounted 350 Watt head into a Marshall 4 x 10 cabinet, and it sounded quite nice. This "gigging" rig has now been sold and I just have a small Roland Bass Cube at home for mucking about with.

I have owned other basses. For a while I had a Hohner headless "Stick" bass, a lovely Japanese Fender Jazz which was just too bloody heavy, and a Yamaha RBX-JM which is a 6-string bass and has a fingerboard wide enough to land a 747 on.

I do have a 3 guitars. A Yamaha Pacifica, an I banez RG-505, and an crap old Fender acoustic. The electrics get played through a little Tech21 Trademark 10 combo, but I've owned a couple of small (but deceptively heavy) Mesa Boogie combos.

Bass is where it's at for me, really.

Ian

Still got a few left from my semi-pro days around the clubs. Still have the red Gibson Studio Lite and a Fender Strat plus a Fender Jaguar through a Roland 120 Jazz Chorus amp and umpteen processors.
Over the last few years I've expanded my interest in the classical side of things so have a handful of various acoustics. Pride of place is my Belluci Zebrawood classical

Dr Rick said:

Ahh, the Rack O' Doom. Not seen or heard that for a few years, although iTunes did play a Wide Open track the other night :)

Ian

IanM said:
Bass player here.

Currently just have 2 basses; A Warwick Corvette 4-string and an Ibanez 5-string.

The Corvette was my main gigging bass during my time with a covers band. I had 2, in fact, as one was a spare.

Ian

Warwick basses are great, the price of German-built Warwicks now are just crazy. I had a Warwick Corvette $$ fretless... sold quite recently. Does your Corvette have a natural finish? My Thumb is natural and has to be waxed... used to love waxing it when I was gigging and really into it... pain in the bum if you're not in the mood

Back
Top Bottom