Greetings and Happy Christmas

Hi & very welcome 49r. Just get a really thick, cushioning lather & concentrate on keeping the blade profile low to the skin & I'm betting you'll be just fine. Any tricky bits when you commence (like under the nostrils) don't be slow to shave with a DE. Biggest error I found when I started many years ago with a straight was that I always tended to end up with the blade at nearly right angles to my face after a couple passes, for some reason.

Enjoy !!!

JohnnyO. :shave

You wanted to know how it went? Ok.

After around one minute working on one side of my face I stopped. I looked like something out of a low budget slasher movie. Cursing, I finished the job with my DE.

Having done that I picked up the thing again to try to work out what had gone wrong. I ran it over the other side of my face and used it to touch up a couple of tufts the merkur had missed. I draw the conclusion that I had been too heavy handed, using too much pressure. Trying to be as light handed as possible and working now without any lubrication it did pick up the tufts with only slight damage.

So this is going to take time and practice. It was reassuring to note that the bleeding stopped very quickly. As I am on blood thinners shaving cuts can gush for some time, but not today. So I conclude that, horrific though the side of my face looked, it was just a series of very small, shallow nicks.

So, on non-work days I shall practice on a small area each day and try hard not to push the blade into my face. Hopefully, I shall develop the technique. Otherwise my wife will have the last laugh.

Well, anticoagulants are going to complicate things a bit, but mostly by making things look worse. There is absolutely no dishonour in having recourse to a safety razor for finishing off, and there are bound to be areas where the early results leave a lot to be desired. Steady away, slow and cautious will get you there.

You've done well M8, good on you. Just think of shaving with a quill, (Not for nothing that one of the sharpest DE blades is called a Feather), stay with the grain & don't go for overly long strokes at this stage . Keep the skin nice and taut & maybe just stay on the cheeks just now. Even on anti coagulants I'd imagine that you may well find that because of the almost surgical sharpness of the blade any nicks will tend to be much finer & quicker to congeal than a DE cut. I've also found gr8 success with Proraso Gel from Connaught for minor cuts. In fact, our tube lives in the kitchen first aid box by demand of Mrs. JohnnyO !

JohnnyO. \ :hungrig

Back
Top Bottom