gold flair tip rocket

how rare are these razors and were they made for any length of time ,
do they come cased and last but not least how much would you pay for a shiny one
just fancy 1 to go with my tv razor but this depends on how much wonger they sell for

RE: gold rocket

bigduncan said:
how rare are these razors and were they made for any length of time

If you found one they can't be that rare but no date codes so can't tell how old. Fifties probably.

do they come cased and last but not least how much would you pay for a shiny one

They came cased...cost really depends on how much you want one and condition.

just fancy 1 to go with my tv razor but this depends on how much wonger they sell for

I'm not a dealer, a gold flair tip rocket in good to very good condition without case maybe £25 - £35, if you want it badly maybe more.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9206

the razor in question is a gold flair tip in good condition with or without case
are they rare and how much would you pay
any advice would be very welcome

Gold Rocket...

Personally I've never seen one, but I know of them, they were made in the 60s
2 Different versions from what I gather, there is the Flaretip (like the TV)
and the Gold aluminium LD, the G/A LD looks like a HD (has a banded TTO knob), but weighs even less than the standard LD (Paperclip)

Weights:
  • FT Rocket: 59g
  • Standard HD500: 71g
  • LD (Paperclip): 34g
  • G/A LD: 29g
I've seen a few for sale on very old posts on the other forums, but those date back to 2008/2009, since then none seem to have surfaced anywhere.

I don't think any member on here has one, but I might be wrong.
(please prove me wrong!!)

So yeah, it's like looking for a golden goose, if ever one shows up on eBay, be prepared to shell out big money, as you're probably not the only one looking for one. (I've seen quite a few toggles go for silly prices, and they're considered "rare")

Quick guesstimate on an eBay auction, properly labeled and with international shipping 150-250 GBP for one in good condition with a box. (FT version)
(and probably leaning more to the high end of that guesstimate)

So, way out of my league! :(

Max

So you reckon a cased gold plated FT is of similar value and therefore status as a rhodium plated aristocrat?

Ooofff, with that sort of mark up I'd be tempted to have my FT's gold plated....now there's an idea.

antdad said:
So you reckon a cased gold plated FT is of similar value and therefore status as a rhodium plated aristocrat?

Ooofff, with that sort of mark up I'd be tempted to have my FT's gold plated....now there's an idea.

I never said I value it at that much, but I'm guessing it would easily go for that much.
To me it wouldn't be worth it, but everybody has a different way of seeing things.

Replated razors are in my opinion worth less than good original plating, but then again, that's only my opinion. (especially if it's different to the original, i.e. rhodium fatboy)
Replating, no matter how well it's done is visible to anyone with a bit of knowledge.

To duncan, if you just want a gold one for the sake of having a gold one, replating would be an option. (and a lot cheaper)

Max

so in summary its quite a rare razor,one to add to a wish list.
the pictures on mr razors site look fantastic
think i will have to keep looking you never no
thanks for the info max
anybody swap 1 for a fatboy lol

I've got a gold flare tip rocket, however at least 90 to 95% of the gold has worn off and the case it came in is in very poor condition - I didn't pay an awful lot of money for it though.

They are out there - just don't expect them to be in mint condition.

You're more than welcome to take the one I've got off of my hands - I was thinking of putting it in the BST section at some stage over the next week or so as I'm not a great fan of TTO's.

I'd echo what Mick has said, I'm sure I've seen a few pop up over the last few months and never been shocked at what they sold for. I think £150-250 is just a tad optimistic.

Are gold razors generally less desirable than the nickel equivalent? Rarity aside, sometimes I see a gold razor and think that works and other times I think Liberace would have liked that.

images

I think it works on some razors, mainly the more "rugged" or engineered ones. I think the toggle and Merkur HD look good in gold, but not something like a Tech or a gold-plated EJ89 (if they did one) wouldn't really do it for me.

Gold flare tip rocket let me see
2010-09-27163330.jpg

2010-09-27163405.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/Big-Dave-X10/2010-09-27163427.jpg

And its for sale or trade.

here's another pic
2010-09-27163427.jpg

It needs a re-plate if anyone knows a UK based gold plater that does razors I would be interested to hear about that

Back
Top Bottom