Gillette Swede Substitute

Pete said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Now this is gonna be vague, so excuse the lack of hard info. Been too long since I read about this stuff to remember correctly for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, there's various Swede versions. The ones I'm most familiar with have those Swedish sounding cities plus Surrey Weybridge or something like that on the back.

I'm fairly sure there's other versions with different labeling, and I have no idea if they all shave the same or not. I suppose I could do a search, except I don't wanna bother. Any of you Swede users wanna mention what's on the package back?

Anyway, it's something to think about,

Martin

Oh Steve? I'm happy to dig that particular rabbit hole a little deeper for you.

I've got three differently labelled backing cards in my collection of Swedes.

The first one says "Distributed by Gillette, EMB 92693, Levallois-Perret Cedex, Espoo-Esbo, Kobenhavn, London TW7 SNP, Oslo, Stockholm"
I think these are the oldest and where the name "Swedes" came from. Pack of five.

The second says "Proctor & Gamble UK, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 OXP, UK."
These were sold up until the time they disappeared. Same blade as the first but the labelling reflects post P&G takeover. Pack of five.

The third were a batch that surfaced on ebay a couple of years ago, part of a much bigger batch of Gillette Bleue Extras. "Distributed by Gillette, EMB Annecy 74000, Espoo-Esbo, Kobenhavn, Oslo, Stockholm" I think these are NOS blades that were made for the French market. Pack of ten.

I can't detect any difference between the types. Great blades, all of them.

Well according to my better half, by blades have arrived today, will see whats on the back when i get home

i have two different types of swedes at home now, and i cant notice a difference between them

Pete said:
I've got three differently labelled backing cards in my collection of Swedes.

The first one says "Distributed by Gillette, EMB 92693, Levallois-Perret Cedex, Espoo-Esbo, Kobenhavn, London TW7 SNP, Oslo, Stockholm"
I think these are the oldest and where the name "Swedes" came from. Pack of five.

The second says "Proctor & Gamble UK, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 OXP, UK."
These were sold up until the time they disappeared. Same blade as the first but the labelling reflects post P&G takeover. Pack of five.

The third were a batch that surfaced on ebay a couple of years ago, part of a much bigger batch of Gillette Bleue Extras. "Distributed by Gillette, EMB Annecy 74000, Espoo-Esbo, Kobenhavn, Oslo, Stockholm" I think these are NOS blades that were made for the French market. Pack of ten.

The Annecy ones are the oldest I think (the Levallois-Perret Cedex ones immediately predated the Weybridge ones)

Gotta be about 4 years since the vendors ran outta these blades. Back then a 5 pack cost $4, which was way more expensive than other blades. Thing was, there wasn't all that great of a selection, so the Swedes were a noticeable difference in performance from the others. Once Gio starting trying and reviewing other unknown blades....well, that's how the Iridium was found. He also suggested the various colored Gillette blades, including the SharpEdge.

I wanna say Gio (owner of a now defunct shaving site) usta offer those Iridiums at crazy low large quantity prices back then. Nice guy who knew lots about various shaving related products.

Martin

hunnymonster said:
The Annecy ones are the oldest I think (the Levallois-Perret Cedex ones immediately predated the Weybridge ones)

Aye. I remember reading an archived article about the Gillette Annecy plant - it was closed down about 1990 or thereabouts. A lot of protests about it. So maybe they predate the Berlin and Lodz production?

Well i opened one of the Parcels, and these are the blades :
(any info ?...good....bad.....think i may have some like these already)

9dc4f126.jpg

d581b2c3.jpg

ffe0da89.jpg

sunburyboy93 said:
Well i opened one of the Parcels, and these are the blades :
(any info ?...good....bad.....think i may have some like these already)

Good Steve. Very good.

hunnymonster said:
Pete said:
Aye. I remember reading an archived article about the Gillette Annecy plant - it was closed down about 1990 or thereabouts. A lot of protests about it. So maybe they predate the Berlin and Lodz production?

Yup - that was my train of thought.

I read something about the Monopolies and Mergers looking into Gillette trying to buy Wilkinson Sword through a third party - Swedish Match

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/1991/302razors.htm

Of course the manufacturing facilities both companies quoted closed down a year later!

Back
Top Bottom