Gillette Swede Substitute

I make no bones about it, I am a big fan of the Gillette Platinum Blade, aslo known as the 'Swede' as it says something about Oslo on the cardboard packing of the pack.

I have found these blades to be perfect for me, but unfortunately they were discontinued probably more than a year ago now.

Whilst I have my 'stash' of them, I think it would be sensible for me to try to locate a good replacement that is currently available, and also easy to get hold of.

So my question is this. If you are a fan or long time user of the Swede blades, have you found a replacement that gives the same shave as the Swede did, and which blade is it?

For me, coming close were the Iridium (also now discontinued) and the Shark Super Chrome, although the Shark is not as sharp.

Regards

Ian

IanM said:
I make no bones about it, I am a big fan of the Gillette Platinum Blade, aslo known as the 'Swede' as it says something about Oslo on the cardboard packing of the pack.

So my question is this. If you are a fan or long time user of the Swede blades, have you found a replacement that gives the same shave as the Swede did, and which blade is it?

For me, coming close were the Iridium (also now discontinued) and the Shark Super Chrome, although the Shark is not as sharp.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

The Swede was my go to blade for a long time, up until I tried the iridium. Closest still in production blade I've found to those two has been the Gillette SharpEdge.......very nice.

Martin

7 o'clock yellows are pretty close and readily available unlike equally brilliant blades such as Iridiums, Polsilvers, Nacets and Silver Blues.

Ian,

I have found several currently available blades that I can suggest as excellent replacements for the much beloved but unfortunately no longer produced classic Gillette "Swedes" and Super Iridium blades.

My suggested list includes the following blades: Gillette SharpEdge (Russia), Gillette Super Platinum (both the "blue" from Russia and the "black" from India), Gillette Perma-Sharp Super (made in Russia for the Turkish market), and the Personna Lab and Medical Prep blades (United States). Different than the "Swedes" and Iridiums, but all are for me excellent replacements.

To really stimulate some heated discussion, one could even argue that some of these blades are even better than two classics!

Regards,

Jerry

Tried a "Swede" this week after recieving some in the TSR raffle, I've found they're fairly comparable with Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (sharp edge) and not far off Thai Superthins either. The yellows (as you probably know) are very easily found just now (still in full production in St Petersburg and there's loads on the bay) and they aren't that expensive. Try 'em and get 'em stashed!

They were never Swedish and probably never went near Sweden except those blades destined to be sold there...

The so-called Swedes were made in Berlin (but had addresses in Stockholm, Oslo, London, Paris, etc on), then production moved to Łódź in Poland (so the Berlin factory could be turned over to Mach 3 production), later they moved production to St. Petersburg (so Łódź could do Mach 3 & Berlin Fusion).

there is a seller from malta on ebay selling the russia ones at £10.50 plus p&p for a 100 ,these have made in st petersberg on the packet
would put a link but am not that clever

Derby are a pretty close match.

Only joking!!

Most of the 7 o'clock range and the (still available on ebay occasionally and in France) Gillette Bleues are probably the closest. Voskhod are also very sharp and smooth but recently less freely available. if you find some for a sensible price I say buy them!

Hmm, the 7 O'clock yellows appear to be favorite at the moment. I have used them before, but they didn't work very well in what was my favorite razor. I now have a different favorite razor, so may try them again - I have one somewhere.

What about Astra blades? I have seen them suggested on another forum.

Ian

Ordered some of these off e-bay after a heads up form a kind member, will see what they are when they arrive...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380361285159&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

gill12120_2.jpg

sunburyboy93 said:
Ordered some of these off e-bay after a heads up form a kind member, will see what they are when they arrive...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380361285159&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

gill12120_2.jpg
Wow that's a brilliant find! How do you manage it? I looked yesterday and found nothing as good as this! 20 for £2 delivered! Unfortunately none left; if he had more I don't know how many I would have bought! At least 200 without a second thought.

Back
Top Bottom