Gillette cartridge prices

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1191456/Sharp-practice-The-razor-heads-cost-just-5p-make-sell-2-43-each.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -each.html</a><!-- m -->

Nothing new, but interesting.

Yes, Gillette used to make expensive razors (Aristocrats, Fatboys) and cheap blades; now its the other way round. They know a razor is a one-off purchase but blades are a regular necessity, so they lock you in to their system. They ought to give the razors away free.

I'll just stick with the Rocket and a pack of Iridiums, thanks.

Rev-O said:
They ought to give the razors away free.

They often do - I got my Fusion for free from a demo dolly in Boots. If you look at the price of the 4 pack of blades and compare it to the price of the handle plus 2 blades, often it makes economic sense to buy two razors and 4 blades than 4 naked blades.

Still won't use one though. Tried it a couple of times and recycled what was recyclable.

I did shave with Fusion but it was just too much contact and v.irritable however in Tescos the other day I saw quite a good deal compared to the normal prices of Fusion blades; they had 20blades I think for £19.99 and oyu get either the razor or a box of moisturiser with it.

TBH up until 3 years ago i shaved with a Sensor.. Its STILL pretty much the best multi blade razor out there if you absolutely must use one.
(ITho i dont mind the new Alloy Azor to much.. its passable)

I tried the Fusion on a whim.. hated it.
There was no feedback from the razor at all , the vibrating was so off putting i turned it off and the razor clogged up so easily and often i didnt make it half way through the shave before i swapped back to a DE.
They can keep the damn things.

I happily use a Fusion on my head and will buy whatever the latest greatest thing is to hit the shelves.

New one due out in June, I think.

The money I spend on shaving my head is a drop in the ocean compared to what some blokes spend on their hair.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it for face shaving though.

I do the price changes at the supermarket I work at. Last Saturday, I had to put the price of the Fusion Power 8 blade pack up from about £16.50 to £19 :shock: . There was a similar percentage increase on the smaller packs of blades and also on the Mach 3 blades. So it looks as though Gillette are charging even more to retailers.

But it's OK, it's still a bargain - the 8-pack Fusion claims that the 8 blades will last you 'up to six months.' Fill yer boots....

I often look at the prices as well. The older cartridges like the GII, Contour, and Excel are around £6.50 for 5 cartridges, and these may be the only twin blade ones still available. For how long????

Cartridge razors are 'loss leaders' - sold cheaper than they cost to make, so that the user gets encouraged to use it and to keep buying the expensive cartridges. DE razors are 'win leaders' because the user pays the expensive price up front, but is not locked in.

The problem is that system cartridges eventually end up as disposal razors. Also, more obscure manufacturers make the system razors when the patents run out, but the quality is not as good as the original. I reckon the Mach 3 will end up as a disposable eventually, then as a cheaper made razor sold in the cheap shops. So to keep ahead, the big players Gillette and Wilkinson Sword will come up with something more expensive with 7 blades. Ouch.

As far as I'm concerned, they're just taking the p*ss. If Vinny likes 'em for his bonce that's his lookout, but I shaved with cartridges (Sensor or Mach 3) from 1997 until last October, and I never intend to use one again.

aberimp said:
I do the price changes at the supermarket I work at. Last Saturday, I had to put the price of the Fusion Power 8 blade pack up from about £16.50 to £19 :shock: . There was a similar percentage increase on the smaller packs of blades and also on the Mach 3 blades. So it looks as though Gillette are charging even more to retailers.

But it's OK, it's still a bargain - the 8-pack Fusion claims that the 8 blades will last you 'up to six months.' Fill yer boots....

It is even cheap than that. Because those blades will last you up to a thousand years. How cheap is that?

How advertisers love the words "up to".

joe mcclaine said:
I get at least 30 shaves per cartridge from the Gillette Fusion ProGlide.

In my eyes, that IS value. Especially when the shave is quicker, safer and smoother than faffing about using DEs.

If DE shaving is better, then why didn't the vast majority of our Dads, Uncles, Grandfathers just carry on using them?

Simple - they viewed shaving for what it really is and didn't spend too long thinking about it.

Perspective, I reckon they call it.

Oh, and if you're going to keep banging on about the cost - buy some Bic Sensitive disposables - they are cheaper than DEs (£0.05 per razor).

Fair enough - if cartridges work for you, then more power to you. I'm amazed at your experience of getting 30 shaves from a cartridge, though. Maybe there's a market for a DE-style razor with one of the blades from a Fusion in a non-pivoting head if they last that long?

I often read your posts Vinny and wonder why you started started DE shaving and then joined all the forums to 'talk' about it.Seems you are much happier returning to cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom