Gillette Brass Tin Set ID Please

Hi All

I picked up this razor at the boot sale this weekend and wondered if anyone could give me a little info ?

Please click for larger image :)

Thank you for any info

Lee

Maybe a 1917 single ring old type?
1917%20Old%20Type%20460-B.JPG

It's a Gillette Single Ring Razor, produced from 1906 - 1921 and a very nice find if that's your first one, boxed too, will clean up nice if you use some warm soapy water and a toothbrush, and some gentle tarnish removal with "Silvo" metal polish.

I notice it's your first post, do you use a DE razor to shave with or are you just after a one off ID ?

If you are new to Classic Shaving, why not introduce yourself to the rest of the Forum:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=23

Looks like an "old type" and the serial number points to 1918 (H prefix). Some people prefer to leave the patina on it, I would if the box was mint. However I think this one should probably be cleaned up and used.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replys :)

I dont know if the following make any difference ? but on mine there isn't a "made in" stamp and on the tin where the one in the picture is stampped with the patent number the stamp on mine is on the opposite side of the box containing all the dates?

I currently shave with a Boots plastic DE Razor and have been on the look out for something a little better for a while when i spotted this on the boot sale for £2, do you think this was a bargain or about right ?.

Lee

zade1975 said:
Hi Guys

Thanks for your replys :)

I dont know if the following make any difference ? but on mine there isn't a "made in" stamp and on the tin where the one in the picture is stampped with the patent number the stamp on mine is on the opposite side of the box containing all the dates?

I currently shave with a Boots plastic DE Razor and have been on the look out for something a little better for a while when i spotted this on the boot sale for £2, do you think this was a bargain or about right ?.

Lee

you were robbed mate it is only worth 50p and it's a poor quality shaver, send it to me and i will give you your £2.00 back, i would hate to see a new member get ripped off.......you need to watch these car boot shysters mate !!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

you did really well mater, fair play to you !!! ;)

zade1975 said:
Cheers :)

But you have got me wondering now what would one like this go for then ?

Lee

there are others on here that would have a far better idea than i would, are you thinking of selling it ?.......i wouldn't it's your first DE Razor find and it's a nice boxed example, that you got for nothing really, just give it a clean and shine and use it, will give good shaves and it's over 90 years old, if it has lasted this long, don't just sell if for a few quid......use it for what it was made for... :D :D

I don't think its mega bucks, I've seen similar make £10 - £25 on Ebay so at £2 it was a very nice deal but you're not going to be retiring early I'm afraid :cool:

Cheers all.

I wasnt planning on selling especially before i try it :) just wanted a rough idea.

Is the STAR blade an old one or new ? ( and no not planning on using that hehe )

Does it look like this
XXstar-sealected.jpg

as the Razor is quite old i would say that any blades that came with it could be Carbon Steel and even if unused, may not have stayed in as good condition as the Razor itself....

Can you see any corrosion on the Blade ??, any writing ??

Back
Top Bottom