GEM beauty

Those are absolutely lovely sets @Sabre

Difference? Frankly, I'd say not - it's the self-same head as introduced on the Micromatic Bullet Tip in the 1940s which finally ducked out as the Contour in the 1980s, enjoying a run as long as the Gillette Tech! Perhaps the only difference would be in the shape and weight of the handle beneath, potentially affecting balance. I was doing some reading on dynamic equilibrium the other day and wonder if we shavers simply do that and the weight/balance is all in our minds. It's the geometry of the cap that makes the razor.

I found it too mild and passed it on. I have recently stopped using an E-Bar and Push Button for the same reason.
From having a very full and complete compliment of ASR razors from the pre-Damaskeene to the Contour, I sold off everything Micromatic and beyond. That pretty much left me with 1912s (many, many 1912s), 1914s (practically every variant), 1924s (a small handful) and the other Damaskeene & Junior Bars. I did keep one Featherweight (with an olive handle) which I mentioned above and find really, quite good; and one Natural Angle (the British Deluxe in gold with case). That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago ...

Since then I've re-bought the Contour II (the original Contour was too much like a Pushbutton for my liking) and immediately knew why I so easily parted with them last time and most recently, a really nice (possibly NOS) Micromatic Bullet Tip, which was surprisingly good and better than I remembered. I never liked the MMOC, but the Clog Pruf was one I fondly remember.

While on paper, the Bullet Tip, Natural Angle, Featherweight, Pushbutton & Contour are the same plate just different loading/securing mechanisms they really don't all shave the same. Mind you, across the 100 or so 1912s that I have ... they're most certainly not all the same.

From having a very full and complete compliment of ASR razors from the pre-Damaskeene to the Contour, I sold off everything Micromatic and beyond. That pretty much left me with 1912s (many, many 1912s), 1914s (practically every variant), 1924s (a small handful) and the other Damaskeene & Junior Bars. I did keep one Featherweight (with an olive handle) which I mentioned above and find really, quite good; and one Natural Angle (the British Deluxe in gold with case). That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago ...

Since then I've re-bought the Contour II (the original Contour was too much like a Pushbutton for my liking) and immediately knew why I so easily parted with them last time and most recently, a really nice (possibly NOS) Micromatic Bullet Tip, which was surprisingly good and better than I remembered. I never liked the MMOC, but the Clog Pruf was one I fondly remember.

While on paper, the Bullet Tip, Natural Angle, Featherweight, Pushbutton & Contour are the same plate just different loading/securing mechanisms they really don't all shave the same. Mind you, across the 100 or so 1912s that I have ... they're most certainly not all the same.
Wish we could still get proper pre-Micromatic blades, without the hole and cutouts.

Back
Top Bottom