GEM beauty

It's a Featherweight and these were produced through the 1950s and into the 1960s.

The head is the successor to the Micromatic Flying Wing (or Bullet Tip) from the 1940s and which was continued as the Pushbutton and the Contour through the 1960s, 1970s and even into the 1980s. It has a heavier sibling (or rather it is the lighter sibling of) the Heavy Flat Top (US nomenclature) or the Natural Angle (GB nomenclature). On that, Featherweight is more US nomenclature as in the UK you can find both this razor and the heavier one both retailed as the Natural Angle razor.

You've got a lovely example there. In gold, they also have a metal tip added to the end of the handle. Some have that shape extra shape, but in plastic. I like the abrupt flat end, myself ... like yours is.

They are a capable razor ...

Some years ago I had a particularly bad illness and did not shave for a few weeks. Rather than first pass with a straight or a shavette, I simply loaded a fresh GEM blade into my Featherweight, started at the top of my face and kept going straight down until I'd finished my neck. One pass was most acceptable ... and given it had been a good while since I'd shaved, I left it at that.

Enjoy! It's certainly one worth keeping and you do have a really nice example.

Back
Top Bottom