Gauging appetite for buying vintage blades

What blades are you interested in trying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Blademonkey Paul, I did find this which I wrote when someone asked about the different types of Astra blades.
It's hardly War and Peace but it may help.
1675249353035.png
There's also this with a broken picture link:
1675249389182.png

Other forums may have reviews but I won't link outside TSR. There be dragons!

Having used a boatload of the "Golden Age" blades I think it's just merely chasing unicorns as they had less knowledge than today. Yes, some are excellent and the Personna 74 can go on and on. However, the shaves are no better than what top tier modern blades can give.

In case some of you may not have noticed there is a ton of user bias on forums which feeds the "The farther the reach, the sweeter the peach" syndrome.

The only possible exception IMO are the later Gillette Blue Blades that were carbon steel with PTFE coating circa 70's. I wish Gillette would make a run today.

I think most people on this forum like to try new things. And in this case I mean old things that are new to them.
There are plenty of good and bad blades in production and out of production and what works for one person doesn't work for another.
I am trying to see if people want to experiment with one or two blades out of a small mumber of popular choices that I have (or am trying to get) a decent quantity of to offer round to people so they can scratch that itch or just try something different for a couple of shaves.

Given that my intention was to offer maybe 10 blades in total across three or four different choices I am trying to ascertain whether it's worth me buying a few that I don't currenrly have for these samples packs.
The more votes the less likely I am to just keep what I currently have to enjoy myself

Having used a boatload of the "Golden Age" blades I think it's just merely chasing unicorns as they had less knowledge than today. Yes, some are excellent and the Personna 74 can go on and on. However, the shaves are no better than what top tier modern blades can give.
The only possible exception IMO are the later Gillette Blue Blades that were carbon steel with PTFE coating circa 70's. I wish Gillette would make a run today.
Hiya doin,

Your opinion regarding 'vintage' blades pretty much echoes my own thoughts, at least regarding DE blades. Some older injector blades are a different thing altogether. Yeah, lots of pleasant choices there.

To me, a couple things attract me to almost always using 40-50 year old blades in my rotation. First of all, they do shave me as well as my favorite modern DE blades, with both Feather and Super Iridium being the ones.

First off, here on various US sites it's easy to buy very nice older 40-50 year old packs of the better brands and well known quality for not much cash, if you're patient. Sometimes less cost than a Feather blade even, but we're talking pennies here anyway. So that 'finding treasure' concept has resulted in more than one impulsive buy button bash. How can you not buy it at that price??????? Kinda reminds me of the Rabbi who walks slowly by a butcher store, reluctantly resisting the large sign offering "free ham".

Another member talked about the market for some old blades always being there, which I think is true also. Hard to imagine the prices going down because of additional depreciation....heh.

Personally, if any final decision comes of this thread, it can only be a good thing for the forum members to try blades they might have kept hearing about. I tell ya, it was lucky early on, me being able to pick up stuff reasonably and in small numbers locally at garage sales or flea markets. Heh, one guy on TSR was known for his car boot finds which he taunted members using purchased items pictures.

So really, those old carbon Blue Blades were good eh? Boy, it's quite surprising any blade made of that was ever worth trying. Why is that do you think, although Treet does have it's fans.?

Martin

US patent 3,071,856.

US patent 3,071,856.

Ok then,

Blade is dated 1971.....thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom