Garden Sheds

cheese_dave said:
I've just remembered there's a brace of pheasants in my shed that have been hanging for a week and a half :(

Wrong thread CD ..but I like to leave em hanging till all the feathers have fallen off and they can make their way back to the house all by themselves. ;)

Jesus raised Lazarus after he had been dead for three days, so I'm sure there's hope for a two-week old pheasant.

Tell the wife there's a well-hung peasant in the garage, she'll be out there it like a shot.

BWT how hard is it to shoot a squirrel dead? These little buggers are thick skinned and/or "tenacious of life" as it's taking me at least two hollow-nosed .22 round to kill 'em. Like a computer game, only not fun as I hate wounding/winging and not finishing the job with a clean kill.

Edit: can we have a guns and depression section? :lol: Don't want this sounding too B&B.

Rev-O said:
BWT how hard is it to shoot a squirrel dead? These little buggers are thick skinned and/or "tenacious of life" as it's taking me at least two hollow-nosed .22 round to kill 'em. Like a computer game, only not fun as I hate wounding/winging and not finishing the job with a clean kill.

My owd man had a squirrel in his loft, and being a humane sort of fella he caught it in a friendly trap. He drove it 3 miles in the pouring rain to the nearest wood and released it thinking he was doing the right thing.

Two days later he hears scrabbling in the loft and comes face to face with the most bedraggled-looking squirrel he's ever seen.

He now owns the most high-powered air rifle I've ever seen - complete with silencer and scope. The squirrel is long gone.

Rev-O said:
Jesus raised Lazarus after he had been dead for three days, so I'm sure there's hope for a two-week old pheasant.
Miracle though it was, our Lord didn't then have to pluck, draw, cook and eat said Lazarus now did he? Miracles are one thing, food is another.

joe mcclaine said:
He drove it 3 miles in the pouring rain to the nearest wood and released it thinking he was doing the right thing.

If it was after 1981 and the squirrel was grey, he was commiting an offence under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act - I think it's £5000 fine and/or a 6 month stretch for introducing a non-native animal or plant to the countryside.... They have grey squirrel dispatch service here, you see one, call the number they lay a trap, you tell them when the trap is sprung and they take it away for disposal.

hunnymonster said:
joe mcclaine said:
He drove it 3 miles in the pouring rain to the nearest wood and released it thinking he was doing the right thing.

If it was after 1981 and the squirrel was grey, he was commiting an offence under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act - I think it's £2500 fine and a 6 month stretch for introducing a non-native animal or plant to the countryside.... They have grey squirrel dispatch service here, you see one, call the number they lay a trap, you tell them when the trap is sprung and they take it away for disposal.

I don't think that would cut much ice. Anyway, he's generally too busy on Sunday releasing ornamental Sturgeon into the Trent for a laugh.

Pig Cat said:
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I won't be buying it until Summer anyway but thought I'd try and get an idea of what's involved and the cost. I'll let you know how I get on, that is if anyone's really interested in a shed belonging to a bloke they've never met in person. :roll: ;)

It's sad but true....I am very interested in your shed. I too want my very own hidey hole down the end of the garden; but it needs to be big enough to use as a soapy workshop, so I was looking at this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&isYmal=true&fh_search=5013053128329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?i ... 3053128329</a><!-- m --> You'll note that I'm looking at the one where they assemble it, but that still leaves the problem of the base. And aren't they very cold in the winter? And wouldn't the bottom of the shed rot if it's just sitting on top of a concret slab? Is there any way to insulate them so they are warmer?

Nice shed!! :shock: Glad to know you're thinking of me.

I think the shed's wood doesn't rot because the timber is treated. If you continue to treat it regularly then it should last a long time. My problem is that I simply can't be arsed. :eek:

soapalchemist said:
Pig Cat said:
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I won't be buying it until Summer anyway but thought I'd try and get an idea of what's involved and the cost. I'll let you know how I get on, that is if anyone's really interested in a shed belonging to a bloke they've never met in person. :roll: ;)

It's sad but true....I am very interested in your shed. I too want my very own hidey hole down the end of the garden; but it needs to be big enough to use as a soapy workshop, so I was looking at this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&isYmal=true&fh_search=5013053128329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?i ... 3053128329</a><!-- m --> You'll note that I'm looking at the one where they assemble it, but that still leaves the problem of the base. And aren't they very cold in the winter? And wouldn't the bottom of the shed rot if it's just sitting on top of a concret slab? Is there any way to insulate them so they are warmer?

The timber will only rot if it is permanently damp/wet and that shouldn't happen if the slab is laid/shed erected properly. Single skin sheds are never warm, so either spend more on a better build or you will spend just trying to heat it.
That's a lot of soap or candles.

Back
Top Bottom