Garden Sheds

Has anyone got one of these or similar:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9546508&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C</a><!-- m -->

I'm after a new shed that will last a long time but without the maintenance and thought this might be the way to go. Any thoughts? :D

You mean your not calling the Amish to build yourself a proper shed?

I don't have one bit it looks good enough for storage....if its going to be used as a "retreat/workshop/games room" you might want something with windows.

...you still need a base to put it on, that might cost you the same again or more depending.

That looks good; I recently bought a traditonal shed from:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.telesheds.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telesheds.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

Very pleased with the shed but getting the base right and level is the important bit.

Cheers Rousey

Rousey said:
Very pleased with the shed but getting the base right and level is the important bit.

Thanks for the link Roussey. B&Q also do a more expensive version with a 'foundation kit' that makes the concreting easier apparently. It's an extra £90 but may be worth it as I'm not exactly Mr DIY.

"The foundation kit supplied allows for easy making of a concrete base, whereby the kit is assembled and then simply flooded out with concrete."

I am now concerned that SWMBO will come home and find that the whole garden has turned hard due to a crazy concretey flood! :shock:

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:
"The foundation kit supplied allows for easy making of a concrete base, whereby the kit is assembled and then simply flooded out with concrete."

So 4 lengths of 4x1 or 6x1 and 4 stakes then.

Make sure you put the base exactly where you want it - they're a bugger to move once they're set. :lol:

Exactly my thoughts.
Just buy the wood and make one yourself, it wont be hard.
Im wanting my own shed, but instead ive got half a summer house(a small one) which is full of bikes and bicycling stuff.

Yup, I'm not the most practical person. Though my father-in-law is. I'm sure he'd be willing to help, but pinning him down is difficult these days. He's retired you see. :roll:

Give a local fencing company/contractor a call for a quote for a shed base if no help materialises.

It'll just save you a lot of aggro in the long run.

My dad went through a phase of erecting sheds and greenhouses - his garden looks like a shanty town. Somehow he always managed to time it so that I'd be paying a visit when it came to laying the foundations. In short: if you are looking to mix the concrete by hand, it takes a minimum of 1 1/2 able bodied people (one supervisor and one good natured idiot): allow for that PC.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I won't be buying it until Summer anyway but thought I'd try and get an idea of what's involved and the cost. I'll let you know how I get on, that is if anyone's really interested in a shed belonging to a bloke they've never met in person. :roll: ;)

I Know now I'm getting old! I started thinking about sheds and was transported to an imaginary shed at the bottom of the garden with a comfy armchair, a nice old heater, a radio and kettle, tea / coffeepot, no-one comes near you, in other words sanctuary. Bit like Jack Hargreaves had in the telly programme years ago, (Out Of Town?)
Sound good doesn't it? Fucked if I'm helping PC with the founds though!

Regards

My old wooden shed is 10 years old and rotting so I think I'll get a metal one.

That's all.

Top bloke chat though: no sex, no bravado, no macho, no posturing or power-games or proving youself. Just shaving and sheds. Love it.

PC...If you don't have the tools or know how pay for it to be done, even mixing concrete by hand is a skill and bloody hard work...

and for a shed that size you'll be nearly knocking up 0.7 cubic metre of ballast to create a 0.1 m (4") base. ( not including any sub base or other further digging and prep etc)

= 42 x 25kg bags of ballast = 1050kg = 1 tonne of back break and crap.

HM put his back out shifting snow...get the picture?

Back
Top Bottom