Fountain pen ink

How adventurous are you when it comes to ink for your pens?
Do you even try to match the colour of the ink to the pen?

Me, I'm so far extremely boring.
I use Diamine Onyx black in every fountain pen I have but I am starting to feel the urge to venture outside of the safety and familiarity of black ink.

I've seen some amazing looking purple, red, green, etc...
I tried a lot of different ones but seem to like Aurora Black and Waterman Florida Blue the best.

I'm quite conservative in my choice of colours and tend to stay within the blue-black spectrum. My favourites are Rohr & Klingner Verdigris, Diamine Denim, and my own 25/75 mix of Diamine Eclipse and Damson, which result in a deep purple-black, a colour somehat akin to eggplant.

What I enjoy about these inks is that on paper they may appear black or nearly black at first, but reveal their more interesting undertones after a closer look. Very subtle!

I'm quite conservative in my choice of colours and tend to stay within the blue-black spectrum. My favourites are Rohr & Klingner Verdigris, Diamine Denim, and my own 25/75 mix of Diamine Eclipse and Damson, which result in a deep purple-black, a colour somehat akin to eggplant.

What I enjoy about these inks is that on paper they may appear black or nearly black at first, but reveal their more interesting undertones after a closer look. Very subtle!
Wow! Your 25/75 mix sounds wonderful. Can only image that it looks great on paper.

Wow! Your 25/75 mix sounds wonderful. Can only image that it looks great on paper.
Here is a scan of the mix @William Dobson . Diamine Eclipse was too dark for my taste, almost black actually, and Damson too light/dusky. Mixing the two hit the sweet spot for me.
(Sailor Pro Gear with M/F nib on Rhodia 90g paper)

Diamine%20Eclispse-Damson_zps1pklam6f.jpg~original

Have you logged out of Photobucket or done something - deleted? - to your photo. There last night and gone this morning, @FrankieG ?
All my photos on TSR that are hosted by Photobucket seem to have the same problem @Bechet :( I have a feeling it's their problem, as it happened once before without any interaction on my part. What's strange is that you can right click on where the image was, click on 'View Image' and it will take you straight to the photo on Photobucket.

Is anyone else having similar problems with Photobucket at the moment?

Last edited:
Here is a scan of the mix @William Dobson . Diamine Eclipse was too dark for my taste, almost black actually, and Damson too light/dusky. Mixing the two hit the sweet spot for me.
(Sailor Pro Gear with M/F nib on Rhodia 90g paper)

Diamine%20Eclispse-Damson_zps1pklam6f.jpg~original
Somehow couldn't get the picture of you ink combo. I'm sure an eggplant color would be a visual delight.

However, I looked-up your Sailor Pro Gear. Amazing looking pen, reputed to be one of the world's finest. I'm green with envy.

I purchased a few different Diamine colours to try:

Aqua Blue
Asa Blue
Jet Black
Matador
Kelly Green
Imperial Purple

I really like them all, favourites are probably Imperial Purple (in a Parker 25) and Matador.
I also have Waterman Absolute Brown which I use in my Schneider iD because the pen won't fit into the Diamine 30ml bottles, tend to use that more than anything as I really like the colour and pen.
I'm left handed too and haven't had any problems with the inks.

Back
Top Bottom