First straight shave - how it went!

Each to their own... but if I wanted to eat a meat-free diet, why would I spend time, effort & money in making it look like meat? (which my body has evolved to digest, along with vegetables - which are also what food eats)

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is strongly opposed to Quorn, and has asked the FDA to halt the marketing of Quorn products and to require all Quorn foods to be recalled from market shelves. According to CSPI, quite a number of people have gotten sick after eating the product, typically vomiting several hours after eating the product.

This comes as no surprise to Dr. David A. Morowitz, Clinical Professor of Medicine (gastroenterology) at Georgetown University. “ The data argue compellingly,” he says, “that the mycoprotein derived from Fusarium venenatum is almost certainly gastrotoxic. The risk of its toxicity does not justify its continued use here in the United States.”

“On theoretical grounds alone,” adds Dr. John Santilli, a Bridgeport, Connecticut allergist, “the use of this mold in food is highly dubious. Intentionally increasing consumer exposure to mold through the food supply will only increase the risk of discomfort and adverse reactions in mold-sensitive consumers.”

Proinsias said:
I keep quorn mince in the fridge, it's handy for emergencies.
Tsunamis? Earth-collision asteroids? What sort of emergency requires quorn mince? Surely any emergency that required the defrosting of micro-protein mushrooms would be mitigated by toast?

<snipped> ... “On theoretical grounds alone,” adds Dr. John Santilli, a Bridgeport, Connecticut allergist, “the use of this mold in food is highly dubious. Intentionally increasing consumer exposure to mold through the food supply will only increase the risk of discomfort and adverse reactions in mold-sensitive consumers.”

None of them ever use penicillin (well, I am allergic to it)? ... or any kind of blue cheese (only one of several types with mold in it on purpose) ... and cheese itself is, to paraphrase Stephen Fry "milk that's gone bad, big stylie". Mold isn't always your enemy; just mostly.
  • ... especially when it grows like a flourescent snot green mohair layer on the food you really really really wanted to be eating, until you saw this fuzz on it ...[/list:u]

Sounds to me like some scientists/academics/professors that are making money from the meat industry and need to say something alarmist for their owners. I have never puked copiously from eating quorn, nor do I personally know of anyone of my acquaintance who has.

I agree that it often seems silly to have non-meat foods designed to look, feel, smell & taste like meat - I don't buy a burger and think, this would be great if it was a lot more like a carrot in every way.

What this sort of thing does though, is it helps many people cope when they are changing their diet to a vegetarian one, or in those situations where they cook for veggie-vorous friends, family, etc. They can satisfy the craving/desire for familar meat-ish tastes/textures and such, without eating meat.

I'm still just a few short steps away from being a meat-atarian, but SWMBA is mostly a (non-vegan, fried free-range chicken-ovum eating & (sustainably-sourced-) piscatarian) veggie-vore.

cheese_dave said:
Tsunamis? Earth-collision asteroids? What sort of emergency requires quorn mince? Surely any emergency that required the defrosting of micro-protein mushrooms would be mitigated by toast?

My wife and daughter like it, I think it's awright and from freezer to pan to plate it's ready in a few minutes.

Not for masterchef moments more like this

hunny:
hunnymonster said:
Each to their own... but if I wanted to eat a meat-free diet, why would I spend time, effort & money in making it look like meat? (which my body has evolved to digest, along with vegetables - which are also what food eats)

I don't want a meat free diet, I just eat quorn mince on occasion. Many people use it to bulk out meat dishes like my grandmother used oats.

The evolution argument holds little water for me and is constantly used as justification for fad diets. What food eats? you're hunting my head.

threaad-direction.gif

Back
Top Bottom