First straight shave - how it went!

Thanks for the feedback, chaps!

2nd straight shave last night and only a couple of very tiny nicks, though I did have a spot of bother trying to shave the point of my chin (running the blade up from below and round, ATG, to clear the stubborn stuff). Going to have to work on that as the blade kept digging in when it hit the stubble. I suspect it's because it's horrendously hard to keep the angle right as I come up and over.

Currently deciding whether to use the straight again tonight or give it a rest for a day, use a DE & let the nicks heal before I inflict a few more on myself... ;)

I would defently use the straight again tonight but on the bits that are nicked or you have real problems with use your DE this way you will get practice at keeping the right angle.

Grant, you're doing very nicely by the sound of things. Anyone who takes up shaving with one of these expecting to get away without a few nicks is being ... unrealistic; equally, getting really good results all over is going to take a little practice. I think you said in your SOTD that you'd achieved a DFS except for the chin, which I take to be a more than presentable result - that's excellent progress, suggesting that your DE and SE experience is paying off and that you're getting the angle pretty much right.

As regards the chin, I don't suppose anyone can give you much advice. It's a matter of finding a way to stretch the skin effectively and working out a direction of attack which works for you. If you're anything like me, this will be the last thing to fall into place, and you should expect to be very pleased with yourself when it does. If you feel you need a break, why not do the easier areas with the (ahem) cut throat, and revisit the awkward ones in a few days?

I think Sir Ed has it right about the videos and research in general, but Chimensch's vid is well worth looking at, just to see what can be achieved with practice (albeit 30 year's worth).

Ah well - I used the DE for tonight's shave long before I read your replies. As I stood over the sink preparing my kit, I had actually considered using both the straight & the DE but I changed my mind at the last sec to give myself less tidying up afterwards :oops:

Tomorrow though...!

Straight Shave #3

Not a single nick, and barring the little rough patch on one corner of the point of my chin, BBS. Even managed to shave left-handed for the left-hand side of my face & neck without slicing anything off :D

Dead chuffed with myself.

lagaffe said:
Straight Shave #3

Not a single nick, and barring the little rough patch on one corner of the point of my chin, BBS. Even managed to shave left-handed for the left-hand side of my face & neck without slicing anything off :D

Dead chuffed with myself.

You're a natural, unless you're so new to it that you haven't realised how difficult it is, yet.

Ian

IanM said:
You're a natural, unless you're so new to it that you haven't realised how difficult it is, yet.

Ian

Don't it just make you sick! :x

Well done lagaffe as Ian says you must be a natural, after 3 shaves you're far further advances than me after 20. :cool:

Still at the 'slightly-terrified, taking a long time about it' stage I think. :D

The nicks & (fortunately) shallow cuts on my first outing were enough to instil me with a healthy dose of respect for Neil's honing handiwork!

Jeltz said:
IanM said:

Ian

Don't it just make you sick! :x

Well done lagaffe as Ian says you must be a natural, after 3 shaves you're far further advances than me after 20. :cool:

Hoping I don't let this go to my head and regress badly tomorrow (and lose an ear)... :shave

Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to use it should I have little accident. Mind you - I have no peas; would Quorn sausages do?

Fortunately, despite weeks of straight shaving now (and the acquisition of a 2nd straight), the noggin is still firmly affixed to my neck.

lagaffe said:
Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to use it should I have little accident. Mind you - I have no peas; would Quorn sausages do?

Well it would probably be better than eating them...

Quorn: The packaging says the “mycoprotein” in Quorn is “made from natural ingredients” that are “mushroom in origin,” and “made from a small, unassuming member of the mushroom family.” This evokes images of tiny mushrooms growing humbly and peacefully in the Earth.

Reality: Actually, though, this is far from the case. Quorn, in fact, is a highly processed food made in giant laboratory vats from a fungus (Fusarium venenatum) which is a mould, not a mushroom. An expert on Fusarium fungus, David M. Geiser of the Pennsylvania State University Fusarium Research Center, told the FDA that calling the Fusarium fungus that is the basis of Quorn foods a mushroom is like “calling a rat a chicken because both are animals.”

A mycologist from Cornell University said that mushrooms are as distantly related to Quorn’s fungus as humans are to jellyfish.

cheese_dave said:
Don't lose it just pop it in a bag with some frozen peas.

Like the joiner that cut his ear off whilst using a band saw. While he stopped the bleeding, his mate rummaged around in the sawdust and shavings and found the ear.

"Is this your ear?" he asked

"No, it's not mine. Mine had a pencil behind it" came the reply.

Ian

IanM said:
cheese_dave said:
Don't lose it just pop it in a bag with some frozen peas.

Like the joiner that cut his ear off whilst using a band saw. While he stopped the bleeding, his mate rummaged around in the sawdust and shavings and found the ear.

"Is this your ear?" he asked

"No, it's not mine. Mine had a pencil behind it" came the reply.

Ian

That reminds me of the joiner who managed to cut off both his ears only to find that his eyesight suffered. Couldn't keep his specs on.

Regards,
Neil

hunnymonster said:
Well it would probably be better than eating them...

Quorn: The packaging says the “mycoprotein” in Quorn is “made from natural ingredients” that are “mushroom in origin,” and “made from a small, unassuming member of the mushroom family.” This evokes images of tiny mushrooms growing humbly and peacefully in the Earth.

Reality: Actually, though, this is far from the case. Quorn, in fact, is a highly processed food made in giant laboratory vats from a fungus (Fusarium venenatum) which is a mould, not a mushroom. An expert on Fusarium fungus, David M. Geiser of the Pennsylvania State University Fusarium Research Center, told the FDA that calling the Fusarium fungus that is the basis of Quorn foods a mushroom is like “calling a rat a chicken because both are animals.”

A mycologist from Cornell University said that mushrooms are as distantly related to Quorn’s fungus as humans are to jellyfish.

Doesn't really give any information as to why eating protein isn't a good idea. I keep quorn mince in the fridge, it's handy for emergencies. I recall going over the quorn protein at uni, no mention from the professor, or from the one above, that it's a bad idea to eat it. Creative marking, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom