First soap?

SirPrize said:
Proinsias said:
Don't mind him Pigcat, some people just can't get their mind out of the gutter :lol:
"Those who lie in the gutter look up at the stars".
(I wish I could remember who said that)

That'll be Oscar Wilde who actually wrote "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars". I think it's about optimism, and I am very optimistic that Ids will try grating Palmolive in to a bowl.

So were all kissy-pooh again?
Actually I meant what I said - I utterly loathe Palmolive and Erasmic sticks and anything else that has that strong soapy smell - like a public convenience just after it has been mopped out.

sunburyboy93 said:
Damian Murphy said:
As well as the other suggestions I really do like Nannys soaps , though they're soft not hard and I find they work really well for me. The Yushu is probably my favourite.

+1 on that, nannys soaps are awsome like silk on yer face....i have the zinger, lavender and eucalyptus.....all amazing, good for a nice slow lazy shave, yummy stuff !

+(another)1

I have several of them too: Lavender; Yushu SE; Citrus Zinger (with a hint of Nutmeg); & Exotic. And I plan to get a few more of them real soon: Rose & Geranium; Patchouli; & perhaps Eucalyptus & Tea Tree. I also want to try the Warm Spice shave cream sometime.

Lovely stuff, all of them so far.

Pig Cat said:
SirPrize said:
Proinsias said:
Don't mind him Pigcat, some people just can't get their mind out of the gutter :lol:
"Those who lie in the gutter look up at the stars".
(I wish I could remember who said that)

That'll be Oscar Wilde who actually wrote "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars". I think it's about optimism, and I am very optimistic that Ids will try grating Palmolive in to a bowl.

I wouldn't be too optimistic, I think I'll try the stick on my face like a monkey with a crayon and try face lathering from there.

Ids said:
Pig Cat said:
I am very optimistic that Ids will try grating Palmolive in to a bowl.

I wouldn't be too optimistic, I think I'll try the stick on my face like a monkey with a crayon and try face lathering from there.

Oh dear, I'm guttered...er...I mean gutted about that. At least you'll get to know if you like the scent and lather. To me it just seems more hassle to do that rubbing business with the stick when you have to use the brush to make lather anyway. Also, grating the stick makes a kind of green Parmesan cheese. Oh, and it's very satisfying squishing it all in to a nice bowl. OK monkey boy, have it your way!!

If only the sticks where lighter and longer as a newbe I'd find them much easier to use!

The application direct to my face is just a way to test it before I splash out and buy a bowl.

i seem to be missing out on all the banter lately, must be logging on at obscure times :roll:
terrible inconvienience this work lark :lol:

Palmolive
Boots - stick and bowl, basically it's the same as Cade
Tabac - you just have to

the best of the easily found ones anyway

I just know that I'm going to regret this ................... However what a gr8 title for a TSR blogger ; "The Pleasures of the Palm". That could easily get our numbers back up to at least 498 again.

JohnnyO. :D

Others that I have tried and found to perform well: -

John Lewis soap puck (about £2). Pleasant soapy scent.
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera. Has a great old fashioned soapy smell.
Arko stick. Stronger Turkish soapy scent.

Ids,

I have just recently been getting more and more into soaps. It is much more exciting world compared to creams. Creams are easier to lather, and the pleasure in life occasionally lies in the difficulties we encounter, not in the easiness of situations.

I have come to really love the scent and lathering of La Toja (stick). Pity it is so expensive through the web (but not such a pity that we do get to fly around every once in a while).

Tabac is a true classic, a must, something that is not ridiculously expensive thus forbidding you to give it a permanent place in your rotation. All that of course applies unless you particularly do not like the scent.

Mitchells Wool Fat is supposed to be another 'must', but it can be tricky to lather (especially if you are inexperienced like myself).

I find the Erasmic, Palmolive rather uninspiring. They do the job but I'm not just looking for that, but for more (scent, rich lathering, very good lubrication, etc.)

The Cella could be one of your options as well, few but good ingredients, can go bad if you're not careful, has a reputation of being one of 'ultra slick' soaps. Some swear by it, but I've yet to find a way in making it one of my top choices. This is a soft soap.

The Valobra (stick) is better than the Palmolives and Erasmics, etc. Italian stuff is generally very good. The P.160 soap is a very good choice as well - if you like almond, it will be a worth acquisition for you. This I'd recommend, it will not disappoint.

I also find D.R. Harris sticks good. Their stuff lathers well, it is a truly good soap.

Artisan soaps I have not tried yet.

I assume you're not looking for something in excess of 20 pounds sterling (incl. p&p). Above this number, you can get (reportedly) really good stuff (lather or scent-wise), MdC, Boellis, Fitjar, XPEC, Creed, Knize Ten, etc.

I've tried and enjoyed many soaps from 48p palmolive to over £40 for Martin de Candre. The only one I've given up on is MWF. Most do a great job.

Proraso do a great value soap in a small bowl for under a fiver. I'd add that to any starter list.

Nanny's herby one is my favorite. I'm new to the soaps and creams as well. I did have her lavender until my son took it home with him. and I'll purchase citris zinger and rose geranium today. I like her stainless steel containers for a shaving kit and she sells the soaps in a glass jar with screwed down lid and both should travel well. I haven't had the pleasure to try the famous 3 Ts, but I will in the future. I guess they don't give out samples. I have Crabtree and Evelyns Nomad in a wood bowl waiting to break out from the cupboard; I haven't tried it yet. Thought I would try a tallow for s**ts and giggles and purchased an Arko stick, never tried a stick before. Reviewed the video of chopping it up and putting it in a bowl, good idea. Tabac is on my short list. I've heard nothing but good things about that soap. I grew up and grew out of Williams, I don't think I will ever try that stuff again (whips and chains and 3 great danes ...) anyway. Right now it's easier to find creams than soaps where I'm located here in the Pacific Northwest. Internet is the mall I'm shopping until I venture North to Victoria or Vancouver, Canada. Giver a go and let us know what you decided. R/Robert

Back
Top Bottom