First soap?

I'm afraid the jars are plastic (not glass). They are part recycled and recyclable. I hope to do glass jars in the future, but they are more costly both to buy and to post, and the plastic is certainly useful for travel.

There are so many choices all are good. What kind of scent do you like? That is as a good starting point as any, all the suggestions are good but are you looking for something light and fresh or musky or even flowery (Rose is always a good start - shameless plug from the self confessed Rose fan.

You may have already bought one by now but if not give us some parameters on your priorities like price, scent, ease of lather or skincare and we will narrow it down to 30 suggestions.

Confession time, I have only used the Palmolive stick once, just rubbed on face and lathered. I haven't used it because I hate it, in fact it was a great lather , it is just is so readily available and cheap I have been trying all the other rarer ones. It seems silly to ignore what is considered as one of the best when it is on your doorstep and available for pennies. I shall remedy this by grating a stick into a ramekin this weekend and have a go with it next week.

I’ve also noticed that with my own acquisition tendencies, more so with soaps than creams.

I think in my case it equates to how easy it is to purchasing these soaps locally, coupled with the ripple effect in reverse. Palmolive being the best example, really challenges the higher end (price - performance) soaps at a shear fraction of the price, but I can pick one of these up with my weekly shopping.

With regards to that Rose fetish Audio, that Fitjar Rose Absolute has got to be the best twist on that scent I’ve tried to date. Rose with 90% alcohol content, like smelling one of those flavoured vodka’s.

It certainly is a case of too much choice and I want it all!

I quite like the palmolive cream so the soap is probabily a good place to start, I'm going to grate a couple into Tupperware box because I've got one laying about.

As for smells I like so far.....TOBS eton college, palmolive, GFT almond, GFT violet, tbs Macca root that's in the creams. I hated TOBS avacardo and the jermyn st is getting sickily quite quickly.

AS wise, Eton college, brut, old spice original and White water.

Audiolab said:
Confession time, I have only used the Palmolive stick once, just rubbed on face and lathered. I haven't used it because I hate it, in fact it was a great lather , it is just is so readily available and cheap I have been trying all the other rarer ones. It seems silly to ignore what is considered as one of the best when it is on your doorstep and available for pennies. I shall remedy this by grating a stick into a ramekin this weekend and have a go with it next week.

I use the Palmolive soap at least once a week and I don't think I've ever had a nick with it. Every other soap or cream has somehow allowed a little cut at some time or another but for some reason Palmolive just works for me. I should thank my lucky stars that I get on so well with one of the cheapest shaving soaps in the world, but I still want to try other soaps and creams. Variety is the spice of life after all.

So the general opinion here is for a good cheap first soap buy two Palmolive sticks and grate them into a bowl, add a couple of drops of warm water and tamp it down and you will have a great shave.

If you want something stronger in scent and a stellar performer buy a bowl of Tabac

For a little more exotica get come Cella, Valobra or AOS (AOS is good but dear)

Or for the traditional way any of the Trumpers, DR Harris or English ones will give a pleasing everyday scent.

Nanny, Henk and Mama bears are another alternatives from smaller vendors but they are very very good.

I know that doesn't help but I like them all, choose one and tell us if you want a final check. You will then get ten people agreeing, 13 other suggestions and at least four off topic threads so honestly mate just pick one that grabs you and go for it.

I decided to go with a few palmolive sticks grated into a Tupperware tub, tried it out with a vulfix 404 and was honestly suprised with the amount of lather it produced, thought it was a fluke so tried some palmolive creme and again produced far more lather than my EJ BBB, what a difference a brush makes!

Next on the hit list to try will probabily be an almond soap I want to try nanny but want a hard soap first. I travel alot so have found some 100ml plastics tubs with metal lid to grate it into.

Nice one Ids, I have tried almond but usually softer ones like P160 and Cella. Trumpers is the one hard Almond that springs to mind, am sure one of the guys will have give it a bash.

It amazing the difference a good brush makes, the 404 is still a great brush but the EJ is that little bit more luxurious.

Trumpers more than likely the one as I liked a sample of their almond creme they sent.

I'd agree the EJ is a better made brush and you can tell the quality but the lather I get with the 404 at this limited stage seems far superior.

I'm not keen on Trumper's, or any other St. James hard soap for that matter - there are much better performing hard soaps out there, even though the fragrances are usually quite good.

I have used and can recommend Tabac (if the scent agrees with you), Irisch Moos (basically Tabac with a different fragrance), Vergulde Hand (undistinguished fragrance but good soap), and (Italian) Prep, a mentholly soap like ProRaso, cheap and good.

Henk

Back
Top Bottom