First hone

That's interesting about the Dovo spine wear Andy!

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was some film footage of a man sharpening razors (pretty sure it was a Dovo factory) on a round spinning piece of belgian coticule or similar - like one of those disc-shaped sharpeners set on its side so the large flat face rather than the rim was used. This chap just held the razor at the approximate angle on the hone with his hand - no jig or anything - then flipped it over and did the other side. The spine never touched the spinning hone once!

Regards,
Neil

That sounds like the same video Neil; that horizontal wheel looked similar to the old Sharpenset grinders, if you remember them. One was probably intended to infer that the machined honed blades were then passed to the aforementioned Frau for finishing ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4tkfN8tAJE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACJrAI3SxM&NR=1[/youtube]

Thanks Tony - that's the one! I misremembered the sequence, though: the man is grinding the hollow, the woman is sharpening the blade - it looks like the spine is slightly raised to me, but its hard to see - maybe not. Definitely seen them fresh from the factory with absolutely no sign of spine wear though.

Regards,
Neil

Thanks everyone. So I think I will start buying Naniwas as a first attempt. Depending on where I get first, I will either start with a 12k or a 1k and work from there.

In the meantime, I need to start cleaning up the tatty blades I have. I've read some guides on SRP. It sounds like I need a wide range of sandpapers. Where in the UK can I get grits evenly spaced covering the whole range from around 100 to around 2000? All the usual suspects (B&Q, Screwfix, etc.) have just a few course grits (if I'm lucky -- a lot of sites just have "course", "medium" and "fine").

Failing at the first hurdle :-(

peg20 said:
Thanks everyone. So I think I will start buying Naniwas as a first attempt. Depending on where I get first, I will either start with a 12k or a 1k and work from there.

In the meantime, I need to start cleaning up the tatty blades I have. I've read some guides on SRP. It sounds like I need a wide range of sandpapers. Where in the UK can I get grits evenly spaced covering the whole range from around 100 to around 2000? All the usual suspects (B&Q, Screwfix, etc.) have just a few course grits (if I'm lucky -- a lot of sites just have "course", "medium" and "fine").

Failing at the first hurdle :-(

wet and dry paper is what you need diffrent type of grit is used than sandpaper(please dont use sandpaper will ruin the blade). halfords do some so do screwfix. 3m is considered the best but is exspensize

Also just saying but if you were to get a naniwas's 1k I recently got the chosera 1k and I am finding it real nice, and a lot bigger stone for the money from the ss versions

I was looking at Aluminium Oxide, so it should have been OK. But I've gone with the wet+dry instead. For others who are interested, screwfix seems to have the best selection at the best price I could find. I have ordered a pack of each size and a metal polishing kit. Gosh this "hobby" is costing me a lot :)

Now, presumably, from the restoration point of view, buying something like a 1k/4k/8k/12k grit progression of stones would be a more long-term cost-effective purchase. But in the short term, if rehoning a pretty-sharp razor is the aim, then perhaps a barber's hone would be better.

What about using a "sharpening" paste on a paddle strop? I have found the use of sharpening paste much more practical than bringing "a pretty sharp" razor to a hone.I use Thiers Issard alumina oxide diamond combination paste. Supposedly it is equivalent to about 10 000 grit hone. It is cheaper, significantly easier and quicker to use than a hone.

Regarding sharpening/honing, in my personal experience, unless the razor edge is fairly damaged there is no need to use 1k stone, maybe not even 2k. Of a higher grit stones I have 2k shapton glass, 3 k suehiro (named "cerax"), 4 k KING and naniwa SS 8000. I only once took the razor on 2k, since you can fairly quickly set a bevel on a full hollow even on a 3k stone.I was told I need would higher than 8000 grit to finish, but since I bought TI paste I don't even think of buying another more honing stone...just a waste of money in my opinion. In my opinion Japanes waterstones (Shaptons may be an exception) are most effective from around 1000 grit and up to 4000 grit or so, in higher grit ranges (like 8000 and especially over), for razor polishing purposes pastes are hard to beat...

Back
Top Bottom