First ever SE shave using my 'new' GEM 1912...

shiny said:
I have succumbed to the lure of the SE. Before it arrives any top tips of things I should be aware of before I put blade to face.

It's been said before, but I really would recommend watching the GeoFatBot video on it - good advice on angle to use, and gives you the confidence to just do it.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Nny3rbtPw[/video]

It's no different really than a DE, all about angle of use, not pressure. It's a great feeling once you've done it, something very manly about the whole process... :icon_razz:

shiny said:
I have succumbed to the lure of the SE. Before it arrives any top tips of things I should be aware of before I put blade to face.

Awwww, that's a shame,

I would suggest you think of the angle needed to scrape blobs of paint off a window and you should do fine. Do you know if the SE blades are recommended for human use?

Martin

shiny said:

If on your 1st pass you get a couple of weepers stop & check the blade is correctly aligned ... I didn't & remember the experience to this day ! It's the only occasion that's happened to me but it was indeedly a memorable one.
Apart from that just enjoy one of the easiest, closest and most comfortable shaves you're likely to experience.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

In celebration of this thread hotting up again, I shaved this morning with my Gem. I'm touching my face now as I write (Yes, I know I'm weird!). Super smooth, not a stray stubble in sight, just lovely. Our Grandads sure knew a thing about shaving which the modern 'Beckham' generation will never know!!

Celar36 said:
Which GEM you used?

Not sure if that question is aimed at me or not, but if you have a look at the first post on this thread, you'll see photos of it. By the way, love your avatar. I owned an XR2 & XR3i, and that BladeRunner typeface is the closest you can get to the original Ford logos!

XRs, eh? I'm a massive SAAB fan having owned a long string of Classic 900s. My mechanics are both SAAB nuts, too, and began their string of cars with 99 Turbos. RS killers!!! All their mates were rolling around in XR2s and laughing at their funny looking Swedish bricks … until the traffic lights changed and all they could see was the word "SAAB" fading into the distance :D

I love the lines on retro cars. Be it a 2002 Tii BMW, some space age UFO shaped Citröen, XR3s, Chevettes, old SLAABs, grumpy old man Volvo 240s. Those are real cars. I drive a SAAB 9-5 now, but kept it as 'classic' as I could - an Aero from MY2000. My Mrs still has a retro-SAAB 900 convertible. Old shape, not the blasphemy between 1994 and 1998.

Got any pics?

StephenShave said:
Celar36 said:
Which GEM you used?

Not sure if that question is aimed at me or not, but if you have a look at the first post on this thread, you'll see photos of it. By the way, love your avatar. I owned an XR2 & XR3i, and that BladeRunner typeface is the closest you can get to the original Ford logos!

Stupid me I checked before the beginning post and forgot ...

Is great razor, I have few and also you have too. I hope you will enjoy SE. As we see welcome to sharp side :icon_wink: These is photo of some of my SE ( Mind you I love SE:p)

pjgh said:
XRs, eh? I'm a massive SAAB fan having owned a long string of Classic 900s. My mechanics are both SAAB nuts, too, and began their string of cars with 99 Turbos. RS killers!!! All their mates were rolling around in XR2s and laughing at their funny looking Swedish bricks … until the traffic lights changed and all they could see was the word "SAAB" fading into the distance :D

I love the lines on retro cars. Be it a 2002 Tii BMW, some space age UFO shaped Citröen, XR3s, Chevettes, old SLAABs, grumpy old man Volvo 240s. Those are real cars. I drive a SAAB 9-5 now, but kept it as 'classic' as I could - an Aero from MY2000. My Mrs still has a retro-SAAB 900 convertible. Old shape, not the blasphemy between 1994 and 1998.

Got any pics?

This is totally 'off topic', but this has been my current ride for the last 8 years - she's a 1995 Celica GT4, and I have a BP petrol tanker that follows me around LOL!!

DSCN2301.jpg

Celar36 said:

Beautiful set!

I have a number of 1912, including a stropper.
I also have a few Featherweights and an open comb Micromatic. I'm still plucking up the courage to use the Micromatic. Oh, I have a Contour as well - that is very nice to use, almost as nice as the 1912s.

Stephen - Sweet! When I let my final Classic 900 go, I looked long and hard at the Supra MK4. I loved 'em, but sadly they didn't quite feel right to me - I wanted a commuter with thrills, which they did very well, and a low flying menace machine, which they do VERY WELL. Maybe I should look again.

I'll probably throw up a cars thread in due course …

Back to these 'ere vintage SEs … I mentioned the Contour above, here's mine (actually, a Contour II, but who's counting?):

IMG_3633.JPG

My shaving Ever Ready:

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3572.JPG

pjgh said:
Stephen - Sweet! When I let my final Classic 900 go, I looked long and hard at the Supra MK4. I loved 'em, but sadly they didn't quite feel right to me - I wanted a commuter with thrills, which they did very well, and a low flying menace machine, which they do VERY WELL. Maybe I should look again.

I'll probably throw up a cars thread in due course …

I owned a Supra too - didn't keep it for long though, loved the car, but really hated the 15 MPG!!

Right, you've all made me want to use my shiny Gem for tomorrows shave, have now just left it out ready for the morning. I'm very suggestible :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom