First ever SE shave using my 'new' GEM 1912...

I've wanted to try a single blade for a while now, so finally put out a WTB on here to see what I could get. Well, another member, (pjgh) Paul, offered to send me one of his free! It's hard to pass up an offer at that price, and thank you again Paul for your generosity – makes you proud to be human!

The razor arrived in really good condition, but that didn't stop me polishing the life out of it, and giving it an ultrasonic clean & disinfecting too. She truly sparkled when I put my 1st blade into her.

Now, the blades – with advice here, they're only available from one place in the UK online, Connaught. When the blades arrived, I'll admit a little disappointment. There was no ‘retail' packaging, just an anonymous clear Perspex box. I like my retail packaging, reading the manufacturers blurb, seeing the graphics they use etc. Anyway, on closer examination, the box is a brilliant design. The 10 blades are held under tension from a metal spring you can see – sliding the first blade out allows the spring to push the remaining 9 against the plastic case. In addition, there is a slot on the other side where you can put your old blades.

DSCN5203.jpg

DSCN5207.jpg

I lathered up & got ready for action – I had watched the GepFatBoy video several times in preparation, and put metal to skin. As I pulled down for the 1st pass, I got a lovely raspy sound – it was recently described here as the noise a butter knife makes as it spreads butter on fresh toast! (I can't find who said it to give them credit, but you'll know who you are). As I shook the razor in my basin, I could see the lather almost black with shaved of whiskers. It felt great - and not just the physical feeling. Emotionally, it felt good to be connected to the past, the same feeling I get when I get to ride in my neighbours old Triumph TR6, or his dad's ‘E' type! To think that some bloke used this metal instrument 50/60 or even 70 years ago to shave, well I get goose bumps.

DSCN5204.jpg

DSCN5205.jpg

The rest of the shave was pretty uneventful. A further two passes gave me a great shave, and I'm sure further practice will give me that BBS shave I'm always after. A combination of advice taken on board here, and the infamous YouTube video kept me on track for a nick free, smooth shave. I love this razor, I love the feedback it gives me as I trace it over my face. Again, with a car analogy, some cars give excellent steering feedback, letting you know what the driving wheels are doing, the surface they are rolling on, this razor has great ‘steering' feedback. I can see why single edge shaving will not be to everyone's taste, but I guess I should have been born 100 years ago!

DSCN5206.jpg

DSCN5202.jpg

Fantastic! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Like you, I absolutely connect it with classic cars. Using a vintage double edge is nice, but these single edge of the earlier designs really do feel an entire shift beyond into the past.

Feedback is stunning, isn't it? More like a pin-sharp BMW 2002 Tii than an edgy E Type which would ditch you with only a moment's notice.

I have a number of these, now including a late GEM Contour from the 70s. The Micromatic is considered to be the Bentley of these mowers, but in all honesty, I regard the 1912 patent as the finest I've tried yet ... I have a Lather Catcher in my sights, though. What a gorgeous looking razor.

Awesome! More car analogies - for me, this is a Sunday afternoon pleasure cruise. Jumping into a retro-car or the Euro Box for weekdays suits me fine, drives well and gets me from A to B.

I hope you continue to have a lot of fun with this.

Greetings

Perhaps another convert? Antdad is correct you could have hardly chosen a better SE to start off with if you had the pick of a dozen different models.

Easy to use and not too fierce. They couldn't have been too bad, as that model was in production for thirty something years!

Regards
Dick.

Hiya,

Some very twisted posts from youse guys. I think y'all write such positive SE stuff as some kinda devious insider practical joke to play on the unsuspecting forum members. Similar to suggesting a Merkur or Derby blade to a new guy. I expect this kinda thing from Tony, but I am sad to see Dick is helping fuel the fire and spreading misinformation.

Good thing I ain't falling for that crap,

Martin

dodgy said:
Similar to suggesting a Merkur or Derby blade to a new guy. I expect this kinda thing from Tony, but I am sad to see Dick is helping fuel the fire and spreading misinformation.

Martin

Had to laugh... My first DE razor, the ubiquitous Edwin Jagger89 was sold to me with Derby blades, so have been a fan ever since - as you know, your 'first' is always special! :icon_razz:

I have around nine different Gems and get great shaves from all. From the mild ones, like the 1912s, Contours and Featherweights, through the medium Push Buttons and Flying Wings, and onto the big boy shavers, the Open Combs and Clog Ptufs, there is something for everyone in the Gem range. love them.

My 1st SE certainly changed my decades of wet shaving practise. Glad you're enjoying the benefits of one of these elegantly designed and high performing pieces of kit. As someone commented on one of the first James Bond novels back in the 1950s, "Dick Cheney for the carriage trade.". That's how I feel about my own Streamline.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom