February 2022 Acquisitions

Didn't look too promising when I spotted it as the box looked a little grotty.

Cqt1ynIm.jpg

I'm glad I picked it up. The contents are in stunning condition.

qf3ngHHm.jpg

No plating loss, no bent teeth, no cracks in the handle.

DxE8d7sm.jpg

No idea what the going rate for one of these is but it's the best £5 I've spent in a while.

IW2P2qOm.jpg

Last edited:
From a recent job lot of 10 from EBay, where I spotted 1 or 2 I was interested in. ER 1924 square comb (a bit flea-bitten), 1912 from Deluxe set (just 1 or 2 faint scratches to the cap) and what I think is a 40s Bakelite Tech. No Gillette markings but made in England and looks just like one on Achim’s website. (Usual apologies for poor operator / iPhone pic).

ACCA8115-E4EC-4FA0-AB4B-E3ACFA63B7CA.jpeg

Last edited:
@pjgh - Yes, that's the one. I thought, initially, that the razor might be a Souplex - maybe a Double Six, then discounted that because of the handle - but that's good to know.
I have a white one in a travel tube - "Made in England" and a Patent number. The tube says "Souplex Minor". In another very similar tube, one like above with "Made in England" but no patent number. Yours looks curvier on the comb than the picture from Achim's website and more like my first example. I'll get a snap later on.

Of course, it's possible that the entry on Achim's site is mistaken. That the razor fitted the Gillette case quite snugly made it appear that it was intended. He might have just left it there as a red herring,

Last edited:
I have a white one in a travel tube - "Made in England" and a Patent number. The tube says "Souplex Minor". In another very similar tube, one like above with "Made in England" but no patent number. Yours looks curvier on the comb than the picture from Achim's website and more like my first example. I'll get a snap later on.

Of course, it's possible that the entry on Achim's site is mistaken. That the razor fitted the Gillette case quite snugly made it appear that it was intended. He might have just left it there as a red herring,
Ah - mine appears to have a patent registration number, too. My old eyes are struggling to see it - begins 79...?

Ah - mine appears to have a patent registration number, too. My old eyes are struggling to see it - begins 79...?
AM-JKLUpVIYz6JGc5xmJvx15wgkufwgFtnFa-_CNEvnt21CPCeuWl3tg_2bqWcVSfobvbO7fpYPteOzWyR30UBWhKW2RLP6E3OYwgYLwEaR4vrFJwJyOSQtttUxBPeTWRirttXQygs8OgAYgvbAxEpfd82rsXA=w800

The lower is the one that came in the tube that says "Minor" - Made in England and 433188. That's the curvier comb. Above is one that I also know of as a "Minor" but also as the "Combless" as I have a brown one in a Gillette-style bakelite box but branded Souplex and "Combless" on the inside. Notice the bakelite cap with a brass central post on the one with the curvier comb?

79? Grab a magnifying glass! I have to now and again ... yes, an actual magnifying glass as the magnifier on the phone doesn't always focus right :ROFLMAO:

I can't capture a decent photo but mine says Regd No. rather than Pat No. and the number definitely begins with a 7 (791669?). Brass central post - yes.
Although now showing an error page, Google has a search result which previews as: "A VINTAGE SOUPLEX 4 PIECE DE SAFETY RAZOR in BAKELITE CASE. REG. #791669"

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 09.32.25.jpg
Oddly, that head is the same as the Souplex Nymph (lady shaver) which actually does not take "standard" DE blades. What a tangle! But at least we have the patent number and the company sorted.

Back
Top Bottom