Fat Boy Vs Slim Adjustable

Acknowledged but I didn't think the difference between the slim and the fatboy would be like that between a tech and a slant! I checked last night and the adjustment dial had been turned all the way up the shaft. I've managed to turn it back holding down the sring so that the adjustment dial is at the bottom of the shaft when it's on 1. It ten dawned on me that maybe the handle wasn't tightening up the extra quarter turn the way the slim does. I griped it tighter and managed to turn it a bit more and the blade gap closed. However when I turned it to open again the bottom part of the handle now turns and doesn't do anything! I have tried to remove the bottom cap inside the handle with a fine pair of needlenose pliers but the cap just turns as well and doesn't undo. It's almost as if it's threaded ie come off the threads. The silo doors are closed and I'm not sure what to do with it now. If it's had it then I don't really want to waste the money to send it to somewhere like the Razor Emporium to be told it's beyond repair. it it can be sorted and replated as new and will be similar enough to the slim then I'd keep it............... :?

If I understand you correctly it just sounds like you've adjusted it too far the other way.

With the adjustment dial set on 1 open the doors and what do you see?

The four tabs on which the blade sits should be protruding slightly above the base plate. Adjust accordingly, that should get you somewhere near the correct range.

simmo3801 said:
Acknowledged but I didn't think the difference between the slim and the fatboy would be like that between a tech and a slant! I checked last night and the adjustment dial had been turned all the way up the shaft. I've managed to turn it back holding down the sring so that the adjustment dial is at the bottom of the shaft when it's on 1. It ten dawned on me that maybe the handle wasn't tightening up the extra quarter turn the way the slim does. I griped it tighter and managed to turn it a bit more and the blade gap closed. However when I turned it to open again the bottom part of the handle now turns and doesn't do anything! I have tried to remove the bottom cap inside the handle with a fine pair of needlenose pliers but the cap just turns as well and doesn't undo. It's almost as if it's threaded ie come off the threads. The silo doors are closed and I'm not sure what to do with it now. If it's had it then I don't really want to waste the money to send it to somewhere like the Razor Emporium to be told it's beyond repair. it it can be sorted and replated as new and will be similar enough to the slim then I'd keep it............... :?

Nothing against Razor Emporium, but why not get in touch with Dave at Safety Razors? He will give you a honest assessment of what you've posted and suggest the best way forward - maybe it's something he has come across before? Just a thought :)

EDIT: at least it would only be UK postage to tell you it was fuct!

simmo3801 said:
I think it's beyond that now Tony!

The TTO part of the handle at the bottom now just turns or more accurately spins freely and the doors don't open at all.

I think it's rubber ducked!

Hi again,

Here's a link that might help. This shows how to take apart and clean up a fatboy

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html</a><!-- m -->

Sounds terminal, if your not into trying to fix it I'll have a go. I've been mucking about with a micro brazing kit if anything has snapped.

simmo3801 said:
I think it's beyond that now Tony!

The TTO part of the handle at the bottom now just turns or more accurately spins freely and the doors don't open at all.

I think it's rubber ducked!

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I have the end cap that doesn't have th eholes to insert a tool to remove it, nor a lathe to make a new one etc. I will contact Dave at safetyrazors and see if he thinks he can do anything with it or if it'll be one to put down to experience.

Tony thanks for the offer mate, appreciated.

Just skim read the post.

Is the problem that the blade gap is too great?

When you dial in the adjuster and get to to the point where it stops, push in the little pin (which is sprung) to allow you to turn the adjuster in.

Some pictures looking across the blade from all sides may help.

BlkKnight the original problem was the blade gap but i've managed to move way beyond that point to where the TTo part of the handle spins freely without doing anything......

YellowJim I've just read that post on B&B so I will try that tomorrow thanks. Nothing to lose.........

Ok having followed the instructions on YellowJims link I have managed to remove the end cap. Unfortunately the inner rod(?) has sheared near the top just below the silo doors

5178253180_137a9fec9a.jpg

5177649123_11d107c2ba.jpg

I will send these to Dave and see if there's anything he think he can do anything with it. I'm no expert but having used the same technique to dissasemble my slim and looked at the rod in that it would appear to me that the fatboy may have had this problem before and been repaired (badly) :(

simmo3801 said:
Ok having followed the instructions on YellowJims link I have managed to remove the end cap. Unfortunately the inner rod(?) has sheared near the top just below the silo doors

I will send these to Dave and see if there's anything he think he can do anything with it. I'm no expert but having used the same technique to dissasemble my slim and looked at the rod in that it would appear to me that the fatboy may have had this problem before and been repaired (badly) :(

Hi there,

I may have an extra fatboy in good condition to sell. Feel free to contact me if you don't end up resolving the problem with yours.

Martin

Thanks Martin but if this doesn't work out I think I'll just stick to the Slim as I get superb shaves with it. Interestingly enough I used the same technique to take it apart and it's like new inside! Very pleased!

simmo3801 said:
Thanks Martin but if this doesn't work out I think I'll just stick to the Slim as I get superb shaves with it. Interestingly enough I used the same technique to take it apart and it's like new inside! Very pleased!

No problem,

The slim is an excellent razor. I used one of those years ago for my daily shaver and really enjoyed the thing. Keep in mind that a fatboy is gonna provide a different shave, so maybe look into trying one of those in the future.

Martin

I will Martin and that was the reason I bought one to compare the 2 then possibly sell whichever I didn't prefer. I've been lucky with the slim that I bought as it's in excellent condition and the fatboy experience has put me off somewhat. Thanks for everyones help with this. I've posted on BST in the slim chance I can get a spare pair of doors and rod.

Back
Top Bottom