Fat Boy Vs Slim Adjustable

I fell instep with the slim virtually straight away settling on '4' as being my magic number, but i have so far had half a dozen shaves with the FB, with 2 different blades (GBE & Astra) and i am not yet convinced :? Yes, it looks and feels great, it truly does, but to be honest if I cannot get a decent shave out of it with an Astra - Micks Law says Go, there's no passengers here. I'll finish the blade i am on now and give it one more after, then we'll see :|

I know the head sizes are different. I was also prepared for a slight change in technique being required, but does anyone else get on with one but not the other?

I've only shaved with a Fatboy a handful of times so far, but I'd say I'm getting better shaves with the Fatboy than my Slim so far. I find it's taking a lot less work to get a close shave with the Fatboy. I don't have a problem shaving with the Slim, it's probably the razor I've used most since I started with a DE, but I'm surprised at the difference between the two of them.

I'll stick up for the slim!

I've used a 50's fatboy, 60's slim - and now use my birth year (1974) Super Adjustable.

Of the three I actually prefer the latter.

Fatboy has good weight, but I found the head large and awquard & the handle too short.

Slim was good, but a bit light

Super Adjustable is good for me!

Cost wise, the Slim & SA are fairly cheap at the mo (circa £15-20 for user grade) whereas the fat boys are going for silly money. Over rated IMHO.

The height/profile between safety bar and head apex of the two razors is virtually the same, the Fatty certainly has more material under the safety bar making the head larger but not in an area that would make a physical difference to the shave except in weight and balance.

I have a pic somewhere...

I am the complete opposite of you MM. I have had some great shaves with the Fatboy, but don't get on quite so well with the Slim. I have no idea why this is either. It just feels slightly less comfortable to me...not that i'm giving up on it though. :D

Just got a FB and had 2 shaves with it. Shocked how mild it is, had to dial it way up to get rid of stubble. My very first pass I didn't know what to expect and set it at 2. Loads of stubble left, 2nd pass at 6, then dialed down to buff / touch up. Still not sure if it's me, but this could be my work / everyday razor due to it's lack of aggression.

The Slim is the one for me.

Regards

I've just taken delivery of a fatboy from the states. I cleaned it up enough to shave with and put a Gillette super thin in it which I took out of my slim adjustable. The shave from the fatboy was horrific! Very aggressive and left a lot of irritation. I get excellent shaves from the slim adjustable so I'm not sure why the fatboy should be so bad. The adjustment dial was stuck fast but I freed it up and the blade gap does change when turning the dial :?

I have yet to sample the Slim, but I am certainly getting great shaves from the FB. I had to crank it up, but it certainly does the job.

YMMV, obv.

Lipsy

simmo3801 said:
I've just taken delivery of a fatboy from the states. I cleaned it up enough to shave with and put a Gillette super thin in it which I took out of my slim adjustable. The shave from the fatboy was horrific! Very aggressive and left a lot of irritation. I get excellent shaves from the slim adjustable so I'm not sure why the fatboy should be so bad. The adjustment dial was stuck fast but I freed it up and the blade gap does change when turning the dial :?

Hi there,

Yeah, there's something messed up with the razor. Since it sounds like you checked the blade gap and it's even, then I'd guess it's possibly an easily fixable problem. What you got there is an overclocked fatboy...hopefully. That can cause the blade gap to be waaay too wide, which results in the kind of shave you had.

From what I've read, that can happen when the adjuster dial is forced past the #9 setting. That means you're starting on #10 instead of 1, which ain't good.

Try dialing it down to #1, and then take a paper clip or something and depress that spring just above the dial numbers. Keep turning the dial that way and the adjustment will 'turn over' so to speak.

See if that helps,

Martin

Hiya,

The way I see things, a slim and fatboy are two different razors and the shaving experience isn't gonna be the same for both. Important points like head design, handle design, overall weight, and balance are all gonna contribute to them performing differently.

To emphasize this, I'll say the fatboy is my go to type, and the slim is one I never use. One fits me much better than the other.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom