Ever tried any pre shave products?

Re: Ever tried any?

The only product I've used specifically in this category is Proraso Pre / Post (that's "Crema Pre e Dopo Barba" on the jar), which is a popular product here, but I suspect most of us use it as an after shave treatment. I don't know if it does anything much used beforehand, but the sensation of having your face frozen by the menthol is very enjoyable in my opinion, and not a little strange if used in conjunction with a hot towel. Lather under a hot towel is a well known old-time barber's shop preparation which probably does a good job of softening the whiskers and moisturising the face: I do this quite often if I'm not in a hurry because it's rather pleasant and I tend to make more lather than is strictly necessary anyway.

Hi, I'm not a fan of pre-shaves. I've tried a few including Proraso however I can't say that it helped in any way. Recently my local pharmacist had a bit of a sale on and I picked up some I Coloniali shave balm http://www.hqhair.com/code/products.asp?PageID=685&SectionID=772&FeaturedProduct=6137&pID=1 to try. It has a nice scent and seems to help my shave but just a little; I prefer it as a zesty post shave balm. I would never buy it at RRP.

I find that massaging lather into the beard for a few minutes really seems to help.

I've also tried the Proraso pre/post cream. It's a great skin cream but I wouldn't use it pre shaving.
Lather up followed by a hot towel and rinse is a much better prep in my opinion. You will use more soap or cream making a pre lather but it's still going to be cheaper than all these pre shave products.

I use warm water and soap before I shave.

I did try some of the Trumpers Skin Food as a pre-shave, but it barely made any difference to my shave, and the extra fuss brought me closer to being late for work.

Ian

I think there is another thread here somewhere about using hair conditioner as a pre-shave treatment. The idea is that conditioner softens hair so the beard is easier to shave. Probably best used if having a shower before shaving as you can just grab the wife's conditioner and nick a bit. Think I'll give it a go, but can't believe I'll notice too much difference as I don' seem tuned in to all the subtleties of shaving. What does seem to make a difference for me though is soaking my beard in the hot shower water for a little while.

Arrowhead said:
I don't know if it does anything much used beforehand, but the sensation of having your face frozen by the menthol is very enjoyable in my opinion, and not a little strange if used in conjunction with a hot towel.

Using it as a preshave along with Proraso soap doubles the menthol effect - not unpleasant at all, quite nice... next time I'm in the pharmacy that sells menthol crystals I might just get some to jazz it up a bit :D

Proraso Pre/Post is great, IMHO. Works especially well with the Proraso cream or soap, but can give a nice menthol kick to other soaps, too. 8/10.
T&H Preshave Oil is hideously overpriced for what it is. Works ok, but not worth the dollar for me. 3/10.
Somersets Shave Oil works really well as a preshave and is nice and cheap. Smells horrific, though. 8/10.

A bit of hot water and soap is enough for me. I'm still of the opinion that the best preshave is a hot shower and a clean face.

i've tried in the past

Proraso pre\post
T&H Ultimate comfort oil
Nuage oil - don't get it in your eyes, stings like a mofo :oops: :lol:
Wilkinson's shave oil - designed to be used without lather :shock:
i think most of the shaving oils bought on the High St are this type rather than a prep

there's a bottle of American Crew oil somewhere in the cupboard as well :roll:

i did ask boab to put a section up for pre-shaves, which he has done, and i'll get round to writing some reviews soon.

i did like the Proraso as it added a ritualistic part to the whole preperation and it feels good as well as working.
T&H oil is expensive but out of all the oils i've tried it's the best. i've even used it for finishing off by blade buffing.

i originally took an interest in these things as a way of helping the old boy get better shaves.
he won't use a brush so i thought this would improve the lather from the can.
he really likes the cheap oil from Wilky's <£1

Kyles prep - seriously simple and good stuff.

lather up. hot water onto small towel (but not burning hot) and then onto your face for a minute or 2.

Top stuff!

I've spent the last couple of days experimenting with lathering (new brush - amazing what it does to you, eh?) and have now settled on a new preshave routine - wash with hot water followed by slapping on the overflow lather formed when I'm loading my brush. I had been doing the Mantic 'couple of swirls' and then lathering, but I now prefer to do a lot of work on the puck to really load the brush and this has the effect of creating a lot of quite dense foam at the sides of the dish which isn't good for shaving with, but it's alright for a keeping my face wet and I guess maybe starting to soften my stubble. Certainly no worse than using nothing.

I had a sample of Art of Shaving pre-shave oil. I felt no difference in the shave, the smell was cloves and it left me with slightly oily fingers which I had to wash off thoroughly with soap to control the razor properly. As such I saw no advantage in using it, so a great sample to get as I now know I don't want any :lol:

sonny said:

lather up. hot water onto small towel (but not burning hot) and then onto your face for a minute or 2.

Top stuff!

Sonny do you mean Kiehls? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/men/pre-shave.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/men/pre-shave.aspx</a><!-- m --> I just looked up Kyles shave on Google and it came back with lots of boys called Kyle posting about shaving.

Audiolab said:
sonny said:

Top stuff!

Sonny do you mean Kiehls? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/men/pre-shave.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/men/pre-shave.aspx</a><!-- m --> I just looked up Kyles shave on Google and it came back with lots of boys called Kyle posting about shaving.

No, Sorry. 'Kyles Prep' is what those guys at B&B call a How Towel applied to a lathered face for 1-2 mins. The name stuck with me as it's one of the only useful things I learnt over there.

Half an hour in a hot bath is a good prep for me. An hour in a, topped up, hot bath is a great prep. Mid-lather making I often smear it on my face, then just before shaving use a hot face cloth to wipe it off. I've tried a few oils but never took to them.

I am currently using founders reserve pre shave oil, not bad, picked it up at tk max for £5, though would never pay the £18 price for it, also got some shave doctor pre shave oil, i have been using a pre shave oil since i started wet shaving years ago and i think it does help, though the oil you buy to actually shave with is to thick as a pre shave, the best, and cheapest was haketts, which boots sold for a few quid a bottle, but no more around.

Back
Top Bottom