Etiquette question - 'Jacket and tie'.

I suspect you gentlemen of the world will have the answer to a sartorial dilemma.

If the dress code for a formal lunch is 'jacket and tie', as opposed to 'lounge suits' does that mean definitely not a suit?

Does it just mean a slightly more casual 'sports jacket' or blazer with chinos or smart pants, rather than a matching suit, or is either acceptable?

Jacket and tie means a full suit. It used to mean a Dark suit, the darker the better, but not black unless its a funeral.
Now you can get away with a lighter colour, for example a summer wedding.
It depends on the occasion really, and what you think others might be wearing, and whether it matters if you are under or over dressed slightly.

Just found this, gives a useful summary of the various dress codes.

http://www.tieroom.co.uk/dress-codes

Always a tough one Jacket and Tie.

You can wear a suit of course, if you think the occasion will warrant it. It just means don't come with anything less than a Tie.

The one big no-no you should avoid at all costs is that the Jacket and Trousers must in some way 'go'
No point putting on a nice shirt, tie and jacket and then bung on a pair of faded jeans. Far too many people make that mistake once they see Jacket and Tie on an invitation.

Make sure the shoes are smart as well and unless you're wearing a full suit they shouldn't be Black. Shoes should still match the belt, socks and tie.

You say it's a formal lunch, will this involve mingling and wandering around pre/post meal? if so then take that into consideration. If it's just a long sit down meal then make sure the jacket is comfortable enough for that length of time.
The jacket doesn't come off while you're eating. Ever!

The good thing about these events where they bother to put a dress code, is the grub is normally quite reasonable.

Alex

I've just had a chat with my dad, who, whilst he's a bit older than the OP, is more experienced with formal dressing than I am (my disability makes it tricky to find formal stuff that fits even half-decently), and he'd go with blazer and flannels, and possibly cuff links if the shirt accepted them, which was pretty much my first thought as well.

Any invitation that tells me what I might wear, let alone dictates what I should wear, goes straight in the re-cycle bin - accompanied by an expletive if it tells me I should wear a tie.

I get very good food in very good restaurants and hotels that don't give a fig how I chose to dress. It's 2013 and we are in a recession and they need our business - besides which, a relaxed atmosphere is good for the digestion.

Bechet45 said:
Any invitation that tells me what I might wear, let alone dictates what I should wear, goes straight in the re-cycle bin - accompanied by an expletive if it tells me I should wear a tie.

I get very good food in very good restaurants and hotels that don't give a fig how I chose to dress. It's 2013 and we are in a recession and they need our business - besides which, a relaxed atmosphere is good for the digestion.

There we have a considered response from TSR's resident anarchist/grumpy old man (just teasing, Carl!):icon_razz::angel:

Bechet45 said:

we do that, was doing some electrical work at a pub. got there at 6 then at 10 the boss treated us all to a meal

was nice, we were there in work trousers,boots etc and the others in there were in full suits etc.

i was the smartest in our group as was wearing snickers and dr marten's

Fido said:
Why don't you just call who invited you?

I wouldn't because the inviter would clearly not know me well if they have included a dress code and if they don't know me that well it's not a function I'd want to attend. Along the line of not wanting to join any club that would accept me as a member.

I was thinking more of the "come and meet your MP", "the President of Bowling Club invites you and another", charity do's, de dah. Bin.

As Chris points out, I'm too old and grumpy to want to attend any function at which I would not be 100% relaxed and comfortable. Also, I gave all my suits and ties to charity when I retired - why would I want to wear working clothes to an evening out?

chrisbell said:
I've just had a chat with my dad, who, whilst he's a bit older than the OP, is more experienced with formal dressing than I am (my disability makes it tricky to find formal stuff that fits even half-decently), and he'd go with blazer and flannels, and possibly cuff links if the shirt accepted them, which was pretty much my first thought as well.

I'm with your dad & you Chris. Having no clothes sense and colour co ordination which rates on the minus scale I've modelled my "no 1" dress on Sir Sean in Dr. No. Blazer, pale blue shirt, knitted tie, slacks & highly polished shoes. It's carried me through every non uniform function I've had to attend with gr8 aplomb. Then again, with my impenetrable sense of self esteem, perhaps I no more noticed than I would have cared that others were tittering quietly behind their canapes.

Johnny (how glad you must be I'm not your guest !) O. \:icon_razz:

Johnus said:
All of you left out the most important part of the outfit. A new haircut and shave!

Very fair comment Johnus ! And I blush to admit that my omission took place on a shaving forum of all sites .
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

JohnnyO. \:icon_sad:

Any invitation I have had like that which specified a dress code, such as mentioned, "Jacket and tie" meant just that, but not a suit. If a suit was required it usually said "Lounge Suit" or something similar. Maybe times have changed.

The really sensible thing to do if in doubt though has already been mentioned, call the host for clarification.

I went to a wedding some years back that specified 'black tie'. As it was someone I was very close to, I was a bit resentful - like I was being told I wouldn't be welcome unless I was dressed 'to standard'.
Generally I'm content to turn up anywhere looking like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards in my jeans. If I'm really pushed to it, I'll wear a dress and attempt to do something with the hair.....and feel uncomfortable for the entire proceedings.

I guess you can see why I don't often post on the 'Dressing Room' section.:icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom