Erasmic Supreme shave stick

Hi Guys bought this yestyerday and used it last nite, great stick every bit as good as arko , nicer smell , had a 3 pass shave and still plenty left , definetly use this again and again , brilliant for travelling

This stick has received mixed comments on here in the past.
I personally like it. I like the old school smell, I find it lathers well enough and I like the convenience of it which is great for travelling. Cheap enough too.

hunnymonster said:
Shame it's a mixed syndet/soap - see ingredients and all the sulphonates etc... oh and of course the "old school" smell... and for that reason, I'm out. Mind the container does make a very good holder for other sticks :)

I just Googled syndet and found this - Syndet is a portmanteau word created by combining the words “synthetic” and “detergent”.

Now I really don't have a clue whether a syndet is a good or a bad thing and come to that how many other syndets I'm already using.

HM, am I right in thinking that you have worked in this industry?
If so, I would certainly be interested if you could give us brief run down on the differences between a syndet based soap and a proper soap, and I'm sure other forum members would be interested too.

hunnymonster said:
Take a read of http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-8369.html

On a personal level, I'll use the Brent crude byproducts to run my car - I'll stick to dead stuff for my soap needs.

Thanks HM, that was a fascinating post - belated thanks to Henk as well for posting it in the first place. I now consider myself to be be quite knowledgeable on the components of soap manufacturing and that's not bad for someone who failed his Chemistry O level.
I took the time to read the whole thread and there were some varied and interesting comments.

As always, in the end it come down to personal preferences and what you are getting out of the experience. I still find it takes me a fair old while to get a decent lather from a hard soap so I'm sure you can understand the appeal of having something you can rub on your chin that lathers almost immediately. I turn to the 'good stuff' at weekends when I have a bit more time available and can enjoy the moment.

Indeed it does come down to personal preference - the only thing that really sticks in my mind is that there are always by-products when you aim to make compound X... those by-products could be harmless in the vanishingly small quanities that they appear in the finished product, but they might also be bio-accumulative (ie. never leave your body...) or maybe not.

2,4-D & 2,4.5-T spring to mind - aka Agent Orange... with trace amounts of dioxin from manufacture - no obvious signs of exposure until there's a rash of birth defects - which are still ongoing 40 years later - don't think anyone ever suffered the same from soap (although certain nationalities appear to take no chances with exposure to soap ;))

monkeytennis said:
Never seen this before, I'm up in Glasgow and never seen a savers. Did pop into home bargains but they didn't do it. How much was it and has anyone ever seen it online?

It's usually about £1.50.
I'm not sure where to suggest in Glasgow if you don't have Savers. Do you have Superdrug? There used to be a chemists chain up there called Semi Chem. Might be worth a look if they're still around.
Otherwise maybe try Lloyds Pharmacy or the smaller local chemists.
If all else fails PM me and I'll send you one.

monkeytennis said:
Never seen this before, I'm up in Glasgow and never seen a savers. Did pop into home bargains but they didn't do it. How much was it and has anyone ever seen it online?

One in Argyle Street at the Tron and one in Sauchiehall Street. Both stock the old style stick and its "supreme" replacement. Both also full of old ladies smelling of wee.....

Back
Top Bottom