Edwin Jagger DE89BL arrived today...

Three shaves so far, this is a very smooth razor. The smooth finish, weight and geometry of the head just push everything in front of it easily. The blade exposure and gap are not very pronounced, which means this is a mild razor. I agree it is better finished than the 34C, and smoother too. The 34C has a more "pointy" feel, maybe it has something to do with the shape of the guard bar. I hope the Bleues will provide a closer shave than the "Tescos", but so far I'm quite happy with this razor.

vacant said:
The handle for the DE89 fits the head of my aluminium-handled gillette tech. In fact I can just use the top plate from the gillette on the base plate and handle from the EJ89. Nice tight fit, no wobble but the blade doesn't curve as much. Not sure what I'll do with that info, other than have a play, as I get on perfectly well with all the blades I've used in the EJ - Derby (must have a good batch), Feather & Tesco.

Tried switching the head/handle between the DE87 and the Feather Portable and they just fit perfectly. Didn't try mixing base plates, though. I fully expect the Derbys to be not that good, as that was my experience with the "horizontal" ones.

It looks great and it shaves great. Rather than recommending 34C's to new shavers, i'd go straight to the EJ now

I also have to agree having started with the 34c a few weeks ago, the handle had already started to go dull. A lot beeter quality in the EJ.

Also the EJ is smoother and seems more forgiving than the 34c, and for £15 its a steel.

That surprises me, my HD has been in fairly constant use for 2 months and it polishes up fine. Are you sure your Merkur doesn't just need a clean? The knurling does trap soap scum but a little scrub with an old toothbrush it cleans up well.
I do agree that the chroming on EJ razors is that bit better, but Merkurs aren't exactly bodged, and the plating should last many years, not weeks.

its a steel

Badoom, TISH! :lol:

Glad I saw this thread, was looking to upgrade from my starter Boots razor. Read great reviews on the DE89 and decided that would be a good one for a first upgrade, then saw this thread and managed to bag a bargain in the process. Was considering the lined chrome for handling, but most reviews seem to imply that the smooth chrome is not slippy. Plus the saving for the smooth is significant for me considering Its my first 'named' razor to try.

Cheers!

Now I agree with a lot of the comments in this thread, but for me I have found milder blades like the derbys and blue supermaxes to be far more comfortable than my usual go-to blade (Bleue Extra), with a whole lot less irritation. Rather oddly my 34C and red tip get on far better with my bleues/7 O'clock yellows compared to the derbys and supermaxes. Of course YMMV, but just have an open mind and don't write off the derbys straight away...

Canuck said:
I do often idly wonder why the 89 is the one everyone goes for, the faux ivory and ebony models seem to have virtually no fans.
Just wonderin' like.

I actually like the faux ebony I have, better than the 89Lined I own. The lines would seem to aid grip, but as they are parallel and run the length of the razor they just let my fingies slide all the easier. Somehow the Faux Ebony when wet, is not very slippery at all.

Canuck said:
I do often idly wonder why the 89 is the one everyone goes for, the faux ivory and ebony models seem to have virtually no fans.
Just wonderin' like.

I suppose because they are faux.

Razor grip is way way over rated, if you are not getting the razor handle or hand wet it could be made of glass.

i have the DE87 in faux ivory... i love it. I also have held the 89L as well. No difference really in terms of weight etc. Grip is just fine on the ivory finish as its a thick enough handle. I shave in the shower, it gets plenty wet, but still grip is fine

Canuck said:
Just wonderin' like.

Just by looking at them in the Interwebs I preferred the 89L, but considering the price difference I went for the 87. Same head, it was worth the try and I read from many reviewers the grip was fine. I have to report there are no problems whatsoever with the grip.

With the GBEs it is definitely closer, still very smooth. Will have to try it with Feathers next.

Don't get me wrong, I don't need to be talked round to one as I already own one. I just haven't seen many members here mention that they have them, so it's been nice to see three or four come out of the woodwork!

Price was identical when I bought mine, £20 for any of the 80 series models.

Back
Top Bottom