Edwin Jagger DE89BL arrived today...

...and it's such a sweet looking thing. Impecable finishing - can't wait to give it a try tomorrow. :shave That well known internet retailer had an Amazin' deal on it (only 15 quid) - I thought it would be churlish to let it pass.

First impressions - nice eaasy shave, good balance, no problem with smooth shiny handle (good grip). Really not impressed with the supplied Derby blades, though. They feel rather dull. Maybe I'll get brave and try a Feather... :shave

Yeah, derbies don't work all that well in this razor (or many others for that matter).

I do use a feather in mine on weekends, but it's way to aggressive a setup (for me) to be a daily shave... you might want to try something in the middle first. Personnas, Gillette Bleues, Superthins or 7 o'clocks. Try a few different ones.

For me found the feather gave a fantastic first shave then not good on second so only use a feather for 1 shave then ditch. Mind like all this stuff might have been a dodgy prep on 2nd shave and blamed the blade, all part of the fun.

Feathers are just about the sharpest blade out there, many love them some like me find they irritate. I would strongly recommend a blade sample pack from Connaught <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html</a><!-- m --> Paul (the owner) is a member here and a great bloke. When I bough my sampler I asked him to swap out the Derbys as I had already tried them and he was happy to oblige.

Personally I with my DE89 I get best comfort with Astra's, Personnas or Crystal IP's, for sharp I go fro the Yellow 7 o'clocks or Superthins which are still reasonable comfortable but provide a fantastically close shave effortlessly. However, if I repeatedly shave with the sharp option it eventually starts to irritate.

Canuck said:
Yeah, derbies don't work all that well in this razor (or many others for that matter).

I do use a feather in mine on weekends, but it's way to aggressive a setup (for me) to be a daily shave... you might want to try something in the middle first. Personnas, Gillette Bleues, Superthins or 7 o'clocks. Try a few different ones.

spot on that man... i have the exact same experiences. Derby's are almost useless in this razor, and feathers a tad too aggressive, i only use them as you say, at weekends, when i have the time to take care and be gentle over what i'm doing.

Day in, day out, I use either Sharks or Gillette Bleues

Tried it with a Tesco's own (Personna - I believe) these last couple of mornings - much more satisfactory. Acceptably close and smooth without too much work or too many second goes. Nice! :shave

MandoBear said:
Tried it with a Tesco's own (Personna - I believe) these last couple of mornings - much more satisfactory. Acceptably close and smooth without too much work or too many second goes. Nice! :shave

I also got my DE87 in that amazin' deal for less that 20€ shipped. Used it twice with those Personnas and the results were great. Maybe just a little bit less close than with the 34C. Will have to throw something sharper into the razor, perhaps a Gillette Bleue Extra?

Thanks for this tip off.

I went on to Amazon, with no intention of a purchase, just curiosity, i was weak and ordered.

Arrived today, I have to say the packaging was top class, and gave the feel of old school pride and care in the production of the razor.

Once all the tissue and wrapping paper was remove my anticipation was justified. The razor is top quality and for this price is a must buy. The finish is superb and looks better then my current 34c.

I also bought a chrome bowl by Edwin Jagger too, this was also top notch and packaged with the same care as the razor.

My sample pack of blades arrived too from Connaught, great deal on the blades, and also kind enough to substitute the Derbys for a blade that I had not tried before. Great service.

I can't wait to try them out later.

Andy.

brg said:
MandoBear said:

I also got my DE87 in that amazin' deal for less that 20€ shipped. Used it twice with those Personnas and the results were great. Maybe just a little bit less close than with the 34C. Will have to throw something sharper into the razor, perhaps a Gillette Bleue Extra?

i use the Bleue's in the DE87.. works well... as do sharks, superthins and platinums.

Less happy were , derby's, feathers and jewels

i would be inclined to agree... i had two merkurs before getting my EJ

the 1904 tarnished quickly, and looked quite poor. It wasnt as smooth a shave either. The 23c I had, was ok, but the head still marked far easier.

The plating on the EJ is better, the handle is a superb balance of chunky without being excessive. It looks great and it shaves great. Rather than recommending 34C's to new shavers, i'd go straight to the EJ now

shrink said:
It looks great and it shaves great. Rather than recommending 34C's to new shavers, i'd go straight to the EJ now
I couldn't agree more. As a predictable, no surprises razor, that gives a good (non-intimidating) shave and rewards improving technique, it has to be a sound first recommendation to someone new to DE shaving - it just inspires a feeling of "This is going to be good." even before you start using it. And for the price, there really isn't anything to beat it.

The handle for the DE89 fits the head of my aluminium-handled gillette tech. In fact I can just use the top plate from the gillette on the base plate and handle from the EJ89. Nice tight fit, no wobble but the blade doesn't curve as much. Not sure what I'll do with that info, other than have a play, as I get on perfectly well with all the blades I've used in the EJ - Derby (must have a good batch), Feather & Tesco.

Back
Top Bottom