Dutchman from Germany

Z

Zwager

Hi everyone,

my name is Marco, I am a 43 year old Physiotherapist from Amsterdam but live with my family in Siegen in Germany.
After visiting several german forums (fori??) I have started following some threads on TSR and found that different countries have different views.
I shave either with a straight (2 wackers) or with a DE (2 Merkurs), use my Simpsons PL8 mostly but also have a Kent BK4.
I prefer Soaps over creams but like a change now and then, my favorite at the moment L'occitane Cade soap.

I hope to find out a lot more about the british way of shaving and am looking forward to learning a lot of new stuff.

Hello Marco, and welcome to TSR!

You mention that different countries have different views on shaving: anything in particular? Does the German way of shaving really differ from the British?

thanks for welcoming me to the forum, everyone.
No i don't think the shaving is different in germany, but the way shaving is discussed is different if you visit german, british or american forums.
I can't really say what the exact differences are, but it is very usefull to visit different boards.
For example: Speick shaving soap is cheap and common in Germany, in the US it is not so easy to get and much more expensive. In the US therefore Speick is "great", in germany just another shaving soap. The same with british products, we can't buy them here in local stores, so I'm always pleased to be able to visit london to walk through Jermyn str.
Different countries, different opinions.

funny you should mention that Marco, I was in Trier just before Christmas and could not find anywhere with Speick soap in stock.Plenty Tabac and IM.

Speick just another shaving soap :shock:

you must be spoiled over there then :roll:

it must be your equivalent of Palmolive to us

Hello Marco and welcome to TSR. I know what you mean about regional differences between fora ( :lol: ) - Palmolive is so cheap here it's almost laughable, but it's taken much more seriously in the US. Also, we haven't had any threads about firearms, yet.

Well maybe we are spoiled over here, but speick isn't my taste either, Tabac is though.
The problem in Germany is, that traditional shaving isn't popular, so gilette and nivea is everywhere, but to find shaving soap, you have to know where to look. Exotic brands are internet buys only. TOOBS, Dr. Harris, Trumpers etc. is nowhere to be found. I might be naive, but I still believe Britain has more fee for shaving tradition and real shaving stuff is easy to come by.

It's not remarkably different in most of Britain... since I've been looking (just under two years) I've found two shops in Scotland that have any of the "exotic" stuff in - and one has since closed down - they don't do themselves many favours though because they charge top dollar (and eye-wateringly so) for those products - I don't mind paying a premium to "get it now" but when the mark up is >75% it starts to wear thin.

You can't even rely on different branches of the same shop having similar range (example there's a chain of pharmacies near me - one branch has Wilkinson Sword sticks, Palmolive & Erasmic creams, a selection of brushes, some other soaps - but no blades at all, the other branch has a choice of blades, Palmolive cream and that's it)

Back
Top Bottom