Dry skin, technique, products, advice?

Hi All,

I'm new here. Previously followed (and inspired by) the wicked_edge sub on reddit.

I've been DE shaving now for a few months. Generally, it's a huge improvement from the evil 3, 4 or 5 (!) blade disposable heads sold at extortionate prices.

I'm currently still experimenting with blades (favourite so far are the Astra Platinum) and shave soap/oils. My best shaves so far are using 'king of shaves' oil with a lather from an aerosol based Gillette gel applied on top. I'm aware general consensus is the gels are terrible - but so far, compared to the Wilkinson Sword Blue soap (totally useless) and the Palmolive 'squeezy tube' soap (better but not perfect) the gel does a pretty good job. Both soaps were lathered up properly using a brush and tried with and without pre-shave oil. The Gillette Gel, so far, is the winner.

I typically shave with the grain all over my face and neck, whilst also shaving against the grain (and at angles) below my jaw and neck. I find this gives me a good close all over shave (whilst getting the tricky hairs on my neck) without causing too much irritation.

I apply no pressure to the razor and let the razor itself do the cutting. I typically change the blade after 3 or 4 shaves. I use a DE safety razor, shaving in the shower after washing my face with normal body wash (using exfoliating gloves). Post shave, I find I need to use a small amount of body wash to remove the remaining shave-oil from my face.

After shower I dry my face then massage Nivia post-shave balm into my face/neck.

I then drive an hour to work only to find my face smooth but covered in flaky dry skin.

I've tried using exfoliating scrubs in the evenings and whilst this helps it doesn't really solve the problem. It seems it's the shave itself which is causing the dead skin / dryness.

I've also experienced a few more spots (possibly due to ingrowing hairs) - but oddly enough only on my face where I shave with (not against) the growth.

Any advice on how I can improve either my technique or the products used to minimise the dryness and prevent ingrowing hairs/spots? I'm assuming the two are related.

Thanks,

Steve

I would stop using the exfoliating scrubs and gloves on your face, get a decent moisturiser and use morning and night. I suspect the scrubs, gloves AND DE shave is a bit too much for you face to take.

Shave after the shower. It will soften the hairs, and make therm easier to cut. May not help the flaky skin problem, but it's a better way of doing things. Palmolive cream (from the tube) is superb, so I can't work out why you found it only a bit better than the Wilkinson Sword Blue soap (which is almost impossible for even the most experience shavers to lather). If you still have the brush, experiment with lathering the Palmolive using Youtube videos from people like mantic59, geofatboy and sfaragher to help you get your lathering technique right. I'd also suggest that you ditch the oil - you're having to use a face wash (which will strip the skin's natural oils) after you shave to take the pre-shave oil off, so you're actually drying your face out at the point when you should be using procedures and techniques to minimise drying. Keep using the Nivea balm, and see if it improves.

Are you using a brush to make your lather? If not get one. Personally I have never found shave oil to be any good. I would ditch it and stick to a soap. Many people like the way Mitchell's wool fat performs and how the skin feels afterwards, there is also Nannys soaps.

Thanks for all the replies. I should clarify - the Palmolive soap works well, I just don't find it as good as the oil + gillette gel combination. However, I will persevere with using just the Palmolive and see if my experience improves.

I use a brush (bought cheap from boots) and the lid of the wilkinsons blue (so at least I'm getting some use out of it!) to lather up the Palmolive. I use about a centimetre of Palmolive, a damp (but squeeze dried) brush, swishing in a circular motion probably 10 times. I then apply to my face using the brush (again in circular motions) and find the lather remains for the duration of my shave.

I'll go back to just using the Palmolive, reduce the use of exfoliating products/gloves and take another look at moisturisers.

Thanks guys :)

Steve

thespirit3 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I should clarify - the Palmolive soap works well, I just don't find it as good as the oil + gillette gel combination. However, I will persevere with using just the Palmolive and see if my experience improves.

I use a brush (bought cheap from boots) and the lid of the wilkinsons blue (so at least I'm getting some use out of it!) to lather up the Palmolive. I use about a centimetre of Palmolive, a damp (but squeeze dried) brush, swishing in a circular motion probably 10 times. I then apply to my face using the brush (again in circular motions) and find the lather remains for the duration of my shave.

I'll go back to just using the Palmolive, reduce the use of exfoliating products/gloves and take another look at moisturisers.

Thanks guys :)

Steve

I'm a bit concerned about the way you describe your lathering procedure, Steve. I can't see that you're hydrating the lather properly, unless you're doing most of the lathering on your face and adding extra water to the lather. You really ought to watch a few Youtube videos to check that you're doing it properly.
This is a pretty good guide to basic lathering from the man whose videos got me and many others here into traditional shaving:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc[/video]

I'd just add a caveat - his "3-second spin" on a hard soap seems to work for him, but most find it insufficient. If you check the Help section of the forum, you'll find Antdad's soap lathering tutorial, which describes a technique that works well for most.

Given that you've come here from /r/wicked edge, have you seen Betelgeux's Youtube videos? His Youtube ID is "theshockwav".

thespirit3 said:
Judging by that video, my lather is too dry. I'll view some more at home tonight plus read the tutorial you suggest.

Thanks again :)

Steve

I suspected as much!

Nanny's Post Hydrating Fluid from Nanny's Silly Soap is excellent for dry skin. It will form a thin layer of moisture that lasts all day long. For a very reasonable price it's a great buy and will stop the flaky skin.

All good advice from the others. I would add that shaving in the shower always dries my skin out much more than just shaving normally. Also, you should probably try a different cream, something with better skin care (I've heard that Taylors Avocado is good, the other members will probably chip in with suggestions). All the exfoliating and scrubbing is drying out your skin, before you've even shaved.

A decent after shave balm might help too.

I'd add to the comments above that it may also be that you need to review the shave angle you use (the angle at which you hold the razor to your face), again check Mantic59, Geofatboy etc if you think this may be the case. Using the wrong angle can lead to a bit of grazing that can look flaky when the face dries. Generally the shave will feel rough, particularly across and against the grain, if you've got the angle wrong, specially if it's too shallow.

thespirit3 said:
Hi All,

I'm new here. Previously followed (and inspired by) the wicked_edge sub on reddit.

I've been DE shaving now for a few months. Generally, it's a huge improvement from the evil 3, 4 or 5 (!) blade disposable heads sold at extortionate prices.

I'm currently still experimenting with blades (favourite so far are the Astra Platinum) and shave soap/oils. My best shaves so far are using 'king of shaves' oil with a lather from an aerosol based Gillette gel applied on top. I'm aware general consensus is the gels are terrible - but so far, compared to the Wilkinson Sword Blue soap (totally useless) and the Palmolive 'squeezy tube' soap (better but not perfect) the gel does a pretty good job. Both soaps were lathered up properly using a brush and tried with and without pre-shave oil. The Gillette Gel, so far, is the winner.

I typically shave with the grain all over my face and neck, whilst also shaving against the grain (and at angles) below my jaw and neck. I find this gives me a good close all over shave (whilst getting the tricky hairs on my neck) without causing too much irritation.

I apply no pressure to the razor and let the razor itself do the cutting. I typically change the blade after 3 or 4 shaves. I use a DE safety razor, shaving in the shower after washing my face with normal body wash (using exfoliating gloves). Post shave, I find I need to use a small amount of body wash to remove the remaining shave-oil from my face.

After shower I dry my face then massage Nivia post-shave balm into my face/neck.

I then drive an hour to work only to find my face smooth but covered in flaky dry skin.

I've tried using exfoliating scrubs in the evenings and whilst this helps it doesn't really solve the problem. It seems it's the shave itself which is causing the dead skin / dryness.

I've also experienced a few more spots (possibly due to ingrowing hairs) - but oddly enough only on my face where I shave with (not against) the growth.

Any advice on how I can improve either my technique or the products used to minimise the dryness and prevent ingrowing hairs/spots? I'm assuming the two are related.

Thanks,

Steve

Yeah...avoid facial scrubs, sticking your face in the shower, shaving in the shower, gel, and don't wash your face with anything that produces suds if you can help it.

If you have a light beard you could try oil only if not the process of lathering properly helps lift and soften the beard so worth getting that right,
just bear in mind that soap isn't skin friendly by its very nature no matter what the claims.

Back
Top Bottom