Do I keep my razors loaded?

KRF1963 said:
I recently bought one of the allegro sharpeners and have thus far tried it with one blade and it worked really well.

I will have to give it a go with a Derby and see it it can put a decent edge on one of those.

Henk, Any tips on the best way to use these? How often do you sharpen the blades and how many shaves can you stretch a blade to?

My current blade (in my Toggle) is a Thai Super Thin that I have been using for about six weeks now, with an average of 6 shaves a week. I use a new blade for 4 shaves, like normal, then start sharpening, right after each shave. Four strokes on each edge side (two cycles on the machine equals a single stroke on each 'edge side' (left edge top, right edge top, right edge bottom, left edge bottom...), so 8 cycles in total) on the black stone, then four strokes (8 cycles) on the green stone, then 16 strokes (32 cycles) on the leather strop.

These machines were meant for blades from the 1920s-1940s, which were much thicker and heavier and studier than the current crop of blades, and also less sharp. THat is probably why many people are commenting the Allegro machines do not work on modern day blades. However they do, only they do not restore a Super Thin or Astra to factory sharpness. They do keep them sharp however, probably about as sharp as they kept the original blades they were intended for. You get a consistent sharpness comparable to the sharpness of a Super Thin after three shaves. If you want you blades sharper than that, forget about the Allegro; if you can manage shaving for weeks on end with the equivalent of a Super Thin after three shaves, they're well worth the money.

Well, no, there is no economic need to resharpen blades. It's more that it is

a] a way of extending the lifetime of a potentially limited stock of preferred blades (as in: nobody can guarantee that Thai Super Thins will still be available in 20 years time, so if I really like them I can either buy enough for the next 20 years or invest in something that will make them last longer), and

b] fits neatly with this slightly anachronistic approach to shaving...

IanM said:
spandexcodpiece said:
Hi Brucie!

I use one blade at a time, and I handle it as much as I can using a clothes peg, cuts down the risk of cutting yourself! I also remove blade from razor,thoroughly rinse both in very warm water, quickly clean them using an old,small headed toothbrush, and then dry the blade - wiping away from the sharp edge - of course! This way the blade won't be blunted and neither razor or blade will corrode or rust! I stole the clothes peg idea from Slowshaving, and someone else who I cannot remember at the moment..but it works fine when you get used to it! ;)

Have fun,
spandex..

Crikey! Doing all that would take longer than shaving itself!!

Ian

Yep! ..must admit, it's a bit of a bind in the mornings, and am getting a bit fed up with it. All of the flack could be just the excuse I need to pack it in! (I'll still take the blade out though, and continue to use the peg, I think) :D

henkverhaar said:
My current blade (in my Toggle) is a Thai Super Thin that I have been using for about six weeks now, with an average of 6 shaves a week. I use a new blade for 4 shaves, like normal, then start sharpening, right after each shave. Four strokes on each edge side (two cycles on the machine equals a single stroke on each 'edge side' (left edge top, right edge top, right edge bottom, left edge bottom...), so 8 cycles in total) on the black stone, then four strokes (8 cycles) on the green stone, then 16 strokes (32 cycles) on the leather strop.

Thats incredible! You can't argue with the economies involved there.

quattrojames said:
Thats incredible! You can't argue with the economies involved there.

As I said, the Super Thins never even approach their original sharpness, but can be kept at, say the 'residual' sharpness after ca. 3 shaves almost indefinitely. If you like your blades as sharp as they come, this is not for you, at least not with 'modern' blades.

Back
Top Bottom