Do I keep my razors loaded?

A bit of both but I tend to use one blade at a time. However I sometimes want a different combination and choose a sharper or "safer" blade to suit before finishing up the previous blade.

c) Use one blade in one razor until blade is dead, then put new blade in a different razor.

No worries about wearing mechanisms or blades becoming corroded. Just makes your rotation slower.

Ian

Makes sense to me. Not what I've been doing, mind. I have a very good idea of how long each straight has to go before it needs honing, but ask me how many shaves I've had out of each DE blade and I won't have a clue. I shall take up Ian's method forthwith: seriously.

Hi Brucie!

I use one blade at a time, and I handle it as much as I can using a clothes peg, cuts down the risk of cutting yourself! I also remove blade from razor,thoroughly rinse both in very warm water, quickly clean them using an old,small headed toothbrush, and then dry the blade - wiping away from the sharp edge - of course! This way the blade won't be blunted and neither razor or blade will corrode or rust! I stole the clothes peg idea from Slowshaving, and someone else who I cannot remember at the moment..but it works fine when you get used to it! ;)

Have fun,
spandex..

I have two, and keep em both loaded. Today's blades won't rust (well, at least not unless you keep em in a damp environment for multiple years) and sharp edges don't blunt by themselves (nor do edges keep longer or blunt edges get automagically sharp again under pyramids...). And regardless, I take my blade out after each shave, to hone it in my Allegro sharpener, then put it back in. I'm not worried about wearing out the mechanism of my Toggle or Futur...

Oh, and I handle blades by whichever edge presents itself; with the Allegro machine, the only convenient way of removing a blade from the blade holder is by grabbing it (lightly!) by the cutting edge(s).

spandexcodpiece said:
Hi Brucie!

I use one blade at a time, and I handle it as much as I can using a clothes peg, cuts down the risk of cutting yourself! I also remove blade from razor,thoroughly rinse both in very warm water, quickly clean them using an old,small headed toothbrush, and then dry the blade - wiping away from the sharp edge - of course! This way the blade won't be blunted and neither razor or blade will corrode or rust! I stole the clothes peg idea from Slowshaving, and someone else who I cannot remember at the moment..but it works fine when you get used to it! ;)

Have fun,
spandex..

Crikey! Doing all that would take longer than shaving itself!!

Ian

henkverhaar said:
Oh, and I handle blades by whichever edge presents itself; with the Allegro machine, the only convenient way of removing a blade from the blade holder is by grabbing it (lightly!) by the cutting edge(s).

I recently bought one of the allegro sharpeners and have thus far tried it with one blade and it worked really well.

I will have to give it a go with a Derby and see it it can put a decent edge on one of those.

Henk, Any tips on the best way to use these? How often do you sharpen the blades and how many shaves can you stretch a blade to?

When a Red Personna works out at approx 7p per blade, there's no need to re-sharpen em I guess. Though as some people know I swore by Razorpit when I was a cartridge razor user.

Back
Top Bottom