Digital Camera - Tech Support

@shiny has had a look at the pics and can see the auto settings are wrong.
Would likely be worth it to try using manual mode to match e.g. your phone's aperture and exposure to confirm the issue is in metering.
Which metering mode do you use?
Does changing the metering modeaffect how the camera meters the scene at all?

Would likely be worth it to try using manual mode to match e.g. your phone's aperture and exposure to confirm the issue is in metering.
Which metering mode do you use?
Does changing the metering modeaffect how the camera meters the scene at all?
From the picture exif data it seems the iso is stuck on 3200 both indoors (which is reasonable) and outdoors in daylight.

Had a good clean of the contacts and lense. I didn't clean the sensor - I assumed this would be a bad idea. I put the camera in to full manual but it wouldn't let me alter the exposure settings for some reason. Despite being set to manual, it had exposure lock on and I can't get this off.

I need to caveat that I'm no photographer and only know the absolute minimum.

I think I may need to give up on this camera :(

iu

Had a good clean of the contacts and lense. I didn't clean the sensor - I assumed this would be a bad idea. I put the camera in to full manual but it wouldn't let me alter the exposure settings for some reason. Despite being set to manual, it had exposure lock on and I can't get this off.

I need to caveat that I'm no photographer and only know the absolute minimum.

I think I may need to give up on this camera :(
There's a "Reset shooting options" buried in the menu, which one would have thought would be done during camera reset, but it might be worth giving it a shot.
I wonder how much a Nikon repair shop would ask to check it out.

There's a "Reset shooting options" buried in the menu, which one would have thought would be done during camera reset, but it might be worth giving it a shot.
I wonder how much a Nikon repair shop would ask to check it out.
I gave that reset option a try but it made no difference. I'll see if there's a local Nikon repair shop that could look at it.

Does this sound like your issue?

Yes - that sounds like it. Sadly no answers on that thread though :(

Yes - that sounds like it. Sadly no answers on that thread though :(
I thought the answer from that thread and the issue most probably with your lens was:
"The problem in most cases seems to be that the plastic gear on the motor that opens and closes the aperture develops a crack. The gear no longer fits tightly on the axle, which just spins around unable to rotate the gear."

I thought the answer from that thread and the issue most probably with your lens was:
"The problem in most cases seems to be that the plastic gear on the motor that opens and closes the aperture develops a crack. The gear no longer fits tightly on the axle, which just spins around unable to rotate the gear."
Good spot - I had a senior moment when reading it and failed to notice the actual responses were further down the page. I suppose a different lens would show that the issue was with the lens and not the body.

I may be stupid...
But is yours a J1 or a J2 as it says on the camera in these pics

Or is this not actually your camera just an image to show lense contacts.
That one is my actual camera. It's the J2 model. Now sadly stored to the side awaiting a decision on its fate.

Back
Top Bottom