Design The Perfect Safety Razor Handle

Am I being dense (er, again) or can these fabulous looking handles be bought independently as such?

If so can we possibly have some dimensions and weights Greg? I'm sure that we all have (for instance) great shaving techs with split or broken handles which could have a new lease of life and provide further years of sterling service.

If not, damn. :(

The Ikon Bulldog can be found for £18 on the Bay of E there is also Bobs Razors over in the states who does a selection of handles. I would rather like to marry up the Slim Twist head with the Ikon Bulldog (as I really do like the handle and have tried it on a variety of heads - the only one it didnt suit was the Boots DE head) but havent worked out how to separate the TTO head from the plakka handle yet :?

The question that you need to find out is are the threads the same i.e. imperial/metric/size? Can they be threaded to suit?...........Just a thought.... ;)
I don't have my Ikon at the moment so I can't check if the handle fits any of my old Gillette 2 or 3 piece razors. I know CC Bob will cut the thread to fit the head you have?

Father Ted said:
The Ikon Bulldog can be found for £18 on the Bay of E there is also Bobs Razors over in the states who does a selection of handles. I would rather like to marry up the Slim Twist head with the Ikon Bulldog (as I really do like the handle and have tried it on a variety of heads - the only one it didnt suit was the Boots DE head) but havent worked out how to separate the TTO head from the plakka handle yet :?

Just get on with it ted, put handle in vice tighten till cracks splinters and head comes out :shock: simplies :roll:

pedro083 said:
Father Ted said:

Just get on with it ted, put handle in vice tighten till cracks splinters and head comes out :shock: simplies :roll:

iKon handles are professionally machined from stainless steel and designed to accommodate either older Gillette heads or Muhle / Jagger metric tapped heads , working with inferior materials is not quite what we do.

DSC07063.jpg

DSC07060.jpg

DSC07059.jpg

iKon said:
pedro083 said:
Father Ted said:

iKon handles are professionally machined from stainless steel and designed to accommodate either older Gillette heads or Muhle / Jagger metric tapped heads , working with inferior materials is not quite what we do.

DSC07063.jpg

DSC07060.jpg

DSC07059.jpg

Calm down greg dont get your knickers in a twist, he are talking about older gillette but tto, ones with plastic handles. If you are saying they are inferior materials you may need to think again.

I belive what father ted would be looking for is a 3/4 handle really as would look funny with the tops that are on these

Noooooo I like the Ikon handle ( I like the Ikon razor) and I have tried the handle on a variety of heads.

I like it. Initially when i got back into DE shaving I didnt get on with the Ikon Deluxe head (still dont, I keep revisiting it now and again) I tried a variety of tech heads (before buying an Ikon tech type head from Greg) on the Ikon handle as I like the heft.

The only reason I want to put a different handle on the Twist is that its my birth head and has a awful feeling handle.
Tempting with the vice, but knowing my luck I will bork the head - have you any idea how infrequently S1 heads seem to turn up? Thats the only reason I wanted the Twist, so I might as well make it a nice daily user by altering the handle.

iKon said:
What would be your ideal safety razor handle be if you could design it yourself ?

RazorHandle00416-01-2011-x77pixels-b.png

iKon said:
Length ?

Diameter ?

Specific characteristics ?

Material ?

Surface finish ?

• Length: 9.5cm

Diameter: 1.5cm at widest; 1cm at narrowest

Specific characteristics: ergonomically designed with 'rings' and 'grooves' and 'waves' to make an incredibly grippable, well-balanced, and superbly snazzy to the senses handle for the razor of an eccentric with muscle- and nerve-spasms.

Material: Cobalt Blue acrylic, nickel-plated (by Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk) head-mount/spindle/neck/collar-thingie set into the acrylic.

Surface finish: smooth, shiny & wow![/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

iKon said:
        How would you design it ?
        • The very way it was designed: in conjunction with the man who made it real.

After several sessions on the phone (and a few emails), dealing with numerous questions and theories we had, beejay was able to transform a few ideas of mine into this amazing work of art and craftsmanship of his.
              • Perfect? Well, nearly - which is not bad at all, for our first work...[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

I like this reply :!:

Urban Hermit said:
iKon said:
What would be your ideal safety razor handle be if you could design it yourself ?

RazorHandle00416-01-2011-x77pixels-b.png

iKon said:
Length ?

Diameter ?

Specific characteristics ?

Material ?

Surface finish ?

• Length: 9.5cm

Diameter: 1.5cm at widest; 1cm at narrowest

Specific characteristics: ergonomically designed with 'rings' and 'grooves' and 'waves' to make an incredibly grippable, well-balanced, and superbly snazzy to the senses handle for the razor of an eccentric with muscle- and nerve-spasms.

Material: Cobalt Blue acrylic, nickel-plated (by Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk) head-mount/spindle/neck/collar-thingie set into the acrylic.

Surface finish: smooth, shiny & wow![/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

iKon said:
        How would you design it ?
        • The very way it was designed: in conjunction with the man who made it real.

After several sessions on the phone (and a few emails), dealing with numerous questions and theories we had, beejay was able to transform a few ideas of mine into this amazing work of art and craftsmanship of his.
              • Perfect? Well, nearly - which is not bad at all, for our first work...[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Back
Top Bottom