Design The Perfect Safety Razor Handle

What would be your ideal safety razor handle be if you could design it yourself ?

DSC08131.jpg

Length ?

Diameter ?

Specific characteristics ?

Material ?

Surface finish ?

Here are the ramblings of either a madman or a genius while hashing out ideas for other razor parts

Thoughtsontopplate.jpg

A handle is just a tad easier to produce ....

DSC08132.jpg

How would you design it ?

Short, thick and very weighty, with a great grip that sticks in your fingers when it's wet.

I've only got 3 razors but for me, Merkur perfected handle design on the HD. The knurling grips like course sandpaper even in the shower... as for balance and weight, I can't imagine wielding a better balanced handle.

My favourite happens to be most effective handle knurl pattern I've used, the fluted single diagonal hatch used on the #58.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid%20guard%20bar/1955%20No58.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pi ... 20No58.JPG</a><!-- m -->

I'd like to see a little more innovation in handle design rather than just a variation of a knurl pattern, how about using some rubber or silicon elements or sleeving to add some accent and texture?

CanucksTraveller said:
The one third from the right in the photo looks a little beauty actually.

DSC01391.jpg

That was fashioned after a Gillette Tuckaway handle , little fellow indeed.

I like this style of handle a bit , clash of elegance and modern.

DSC04579.jpg

I love the #58 to use but the new improved to look at, those details on the improved are superb but the diagonal pattern on the #58 looks good and gives the best grip.

Of the ones in your picture the handle tight in the middle is the best looking one to me, it is as long as the feather, a little thicker and not totally plain.

What is that one Greg?

Audiolab said:
I love the #58 to use but the new improved to look at, those details on the improved are superb but the diagonal pattern on the #58 looks good and gives the best grip.

Of the ones in your picture the handle tight in the middle is the best looking one to me, it is as long as the feather, a little thicker and not totally plain.

What is that one Greg?

All the handles apart from the razors on the right and left sides are iKon pieces.

I am with Mick on the Flairtips, great grip combined with good balance between head and handle. the same goes for the beat up British Tech I am using at the moment, the Bulldog O/S combo you made last year and I could carry on. I think you would struggle to get just "The Perfect Handle" think you have to look at the whole package?
Material........high grade stainless steel or if you wanted the extra shine cote it in rhodium...........problem would then be the price.... :shock:

So what you got in store for us this year then Greg ?

The razor on the right (Pils?) would spend a lot of it's time either on the bathroom floor or in a display cabinet as my soapy hands would not grip that well at all........ :D

antdad said:
My favourite happens to be most effective handle knurl pattern I've used, the fluted single diagonal hatch used on the #58.

That looks the same as on my 40's Aristocrat, it's my favourite razor to hold, I never get any slip on that handle.

Back
Top Bottom